MPlayer 32 bit on Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

MPlayer 32 bit on Mint?

Post by Carl »

Ok as with Ubuntu it appears that Linux Mint doesn't support WMV9 audio on there 64 bit versions so what I want to know is how do I go about installing MPlayer 32 bit in Linux Mint? I can actually get MPlayer installed but I'm not sure how to get the 32 bit codecs as in Ubuntu I would just force install win32 codecs, is it the same under Linux Mint? (get the win32 codecs from the Ubuntu packages site..?)

Also is there any reason why WMV9 audio isn't supported out of the box so to speak with Linux Mint 64 bit?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MPlayer 32 bit on Mint?

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Mplayer and the Win32 codecs are available in the package manager. Simply do a search for them and then mark for installation and install.

Also have a look at this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565071
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Fornhamfred wrote:Hi

Mplayer and the Win32 codecs are available in the package manager. Simply do a search for them and then mark for installation and install.

Also have a look at this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565071
I think you might of misread my post or at least misunderstood me, the codec for WMV9 audio playback isn't included in 64 bit mint so I have to install 32 bit MPlayer and win32 codec's both of these won't install from the package manager because I'm running the 64 bit version of Mint.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Yes, there are some problems with 64bit like for example with codecs, not all are compiled for 64bit...

Maybe you should/could stay with 32 bit distro even on 64 bit CPU, at least for the moment... like many others. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

linuxviolin wrote:Yes, there are some problems with 64bit like for example with codecs, not all are compiled for 64bit...

Maybe you should/could stay with 32 bit distro even on 64 bit CPU, at least for the moment... like many others. :roll:

I like the fact that I have 6gigs of ram and dislike the idea of halving just so I can play some clapped out codec :?

but back on topic is it ok to install win32codecs on mint? it doesn't conflict with anything?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Install w32codecs on 64-bit? You can want to read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medib ... positories

Excerpt:
NOTE 3: the w32codecs can be used on amd64 ubuntu (hardy, intrepid) with the i386 mplayer, but it requires manual installation and forcing the install. The i386 mplayer executable can be extracted (and moved or renamed to mplayer32 to keep it separate from the 64 bit version), and will use the ia32 /usr/lib32 entries and w32 codecs - but updated libraries (e.g. libx264.so.59 v.s .57) may also be required.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Found a much better way to get some of those pesky wmvpro audio files to work:
A very nice user who goes by the name "mc4man" helped me to find a tutorial in installing the latest MPlayer and then patching it to play wma3 audio (wmapro) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Sound”