no sound!!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: no sound!!!

Post by shane »

Since sound works with Amarok I think the problem exists in Mplayer and VLC configurations. Set them up to use the proper output... Sorry, I do not use KDE so I can't give you more specific instructions. But I think the default sound server in KDE is Phonon... if that appears in the configurations somewhere.

Why dont you use the default KDE player, Kaffeine? Mint is always shipped with all media formats working out of the box. So your file should play just fine with Kaffeine... and since Amarok works, there are higher chances that Kaffeine will as well.

P.S. Getting angry will not help you get an answer faster... Neither will it encourage a person to answer your question. Be calm and patient... We are here to help, but nobody owes anybody anything... No offense meant.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Cool! glad that worked for you... About Flash... did you install any applications or change any settings? When did the sound stop working for Flash? All editions of Mint are shipped with all possible media working perfectly. This includes Flash. This is a requirement of Mint... otherwise it doesn't get released. So at some point you must have done something to make it stop working... If you can remember what that was, we can reverse the damage.

You could try reinstalling Flash. Search for the Flash package that is installed in Synaptic. Uninstall it completely and then reinstall the same package.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Flash comes preinstalled in Mint... there was no need to install it again. How did you install the second one?

run these commands in terminal

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound adobe-flashplugin nspluginwrapper
then

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Sorry about that... I think I'd better leave it to someone with more KDE experience...
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi Deekay
i'm using Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 it comes with an internal sound driver so it should be working.
Are you saying that your are not getting sound on the "Lifechat headphones" or are you referring to your PC speaker system??? Im a bit unclear on your problem sorry.

The Lifechat is a USB device and should appear on "lsusb".

Please run:

sudo lsusb -vv
Everything Shane had you do should have had you up and running very well already.

Can you run:

aptitude search flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound adobe-flashplugin nspluginwrapper 
so we can see what you have currently installed or not? Thanx!
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

p adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10
i flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
p flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash Player platform support librar
p nspluginwrapper - A wrapper to run Netscape plugins on other
The "i" next to the output means that item is installed currently. The "p" means that those items are not installed.

"i flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer" is the flash that you want and it is installed. I dont believe this is a flash problem though.

Im glad to get a clarification on your sound problem. From what I understand your sound on your PC is working ok. Its the sound on the M$ headphones that is not working correctly. This is probably a driver problem particular to that item. You didnt post your "sudo lsusb -vv" so that we can see if it is recognized by the system, which sometimes will also show a driver as well.

Did you Google search to see if there is a Linux driver for it available?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

sound on works fine on amarok and other KDE apps... well until I told him to run those command for Flash...

Just Flash, mplayer and other non KDE apps dont work...
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

I see. Perhaps for his system he needs to try reinstalling "nspluginwrapper". Some systems appear to need this for some reason. Its worth a try I think.

sudo aptitude install nspluginwrapper
This might help, unless there was some sort of dependency package that was removed before that we are not aware of. We would then need to find out what dependencies are used and check to see what was removed along with the main packages that were listed.

Let us know if this helps Deekay.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

For me... and the Fluxbox CE... Flash worked better without the nspluginwrapper... It actually caused problems. I don't know about the KDE CE.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

@ Shane

Yes sir I agree with you. I dont use it on my system either.

Seems like something may have removed one of his dependencies though if it worked before?

Guess we'll have to wait and see if he will try the recommendations and post his new results, then we can go from there to try and help him....

Return to “Sound”