Looking for a feature-rich Streaming Media Server

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Looking for a feature-rich Streaming Media Server

Postby Daedalus on Thu May 10, 2007 10:12 am

Does anyone know of a good, easy-to-use streaming media server that I could use with Linux Mint?

I am looking for something similar to Orb http://www.orb.com/ . The only problems with Orb are: 1. Its Win only, and 2. For some odd reason, you need to connect to your machine through their servers. I don't understand that.

However, the browser interface for Orb is great.

I am thinking of setting up a mythTV box, and want to be able to connect to it through my Windows Mobile phone....I can do this with Orb very nicely, and it will stream video/tv/images/music to my phone.

I am wondering if there is a way to do this in Linux...Anyone know of anything?

I found "VLC", but it doesn't seem to be as user-friendly. It looks like you have to open the stream on the host first, and then connect to that stream from the client.

Thanks!
Daedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby nick on Wed May 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi
"Streaming Media Server in Ubuntu GNU/Linux Using Gnump3d"

The GNU MP3/Media Streamer is a simple application which makes it possible to navigate through your audio and video collection via a browser, and stream playlists across a network.GNUMP3d is a streaming server for MP3s, OGG vorbis files, movies and other media formats.The software supports browsing, searching, and streaming all via your browser with support for MP3, OGG Vorbis, WMA and many other types of audio files.
If you have a large music collection then streaming it across a LAN, or the internet, is a logical thing to do with it.Now we will have a look at gnump3d.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/streaming-med ... ump3d.html

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs