Used to have Sound - Just stopped working...

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Used to have Sound - Just stopped working...

Postby hups on Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm

A few months ago I switched from WinXP to Mint 6 and was super pleased as newbie to find everything worked out the box (huge improvement on the last time I tried out linux some years back :).

Now, suddenly last weekend (9/10 May) all sound disappeared (ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe integrated sound card...Realtek AC97 I think). I have checked all the pulse audio settings and don't see anything untoward and the output doesn't seem to be muted.

The PulseAudio volume meter shows activity when I play music, but I get no sound at all from the speakers. When I boot to windows, sound is normal.

I'm really stumped. I have been searching the net and haven't come up with anything (except for checking the mute status). I don't think I changed anything on my system, except to allow the mintUpdates to install. Any ideas? Could something in the mintUpdate have messed up the system? How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanx
hups
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Used to have Sound - Just stopped working...

Postby revdjenk on Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 pm

hups...

Welcome to Mint and Linux...

First, remember those Windows updates which cause temporary hardware problems? So it happens here, too, sometimes.

Second, I had this same problem at the same time, but have different sound hardware, (and not quite sure HOW I fixed it.)

Third, here is a thread with a positive answer and result!
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24054&p=140731&hilit=gstreamer&sid=622b1de2a65823e8831ecdc6fba047e0#p140731

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hups on Tue May 12, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks for the advice Doug,

I forced back all the gstreamer related packages but didn't make any difference. So I thought through all the events this weekend - I was wondering if the problems is really related to the mintUpdate. Then I realised that around the time when the sound stopped, I was playing with Win 7 guestOS in VirtualBox and at one point The GuestOS hung and I had to force quit and kill some VirtualBox processes. Could it be that the VirtualBox crash has corrupted something? (captured the sound to the GuestOS and not released it back to Linux?) If yes, what do I do about it? I already reinstalled all the pulse related packages using synaptic package manager but still no sound...

Any advice would be great! Thx in advance...
hups
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 am

If you've rebooted since the virtualbox issue, it is unlikely to still be an issue. Also, you say you've checked pulseaudio settings, but have you checked that pulseaudio is still running. Try "Pulseaudio Device Chooser" --> Manager and check it says "connected"
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hups on Tue May 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Yes the Manager is connected...and I have rebooted a few times since the VirtualBox crash.

What are the tools available to diagnose the problem?

And is it possible to simply re-install all the sound related parts of the OS? And how? Maybe this will be easier than figuring out what's going on...
hups
Level 1
Level 1

Postby David Valentine on Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm

I had something like this occur on my Lenovo T61 Thinkpad. It turned out that one sound channel had muted itself. Here's roughly how I dealt with it:

1. Open a terminal and start alsamixer
2. Start something that makes sound (e.g., one of the "test" buttons on Menu/Preferences/Sound applet)
3. Get the focus back on alsamixer and un-mute each available output channel one at a time (press "m" to toggle). If necessary, also increase the volume (up arrow).
4. One of the un-mutes and/or volume changes should bring your sound back.

Good luck!
David Valentine
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hups on Fri May 15, 2009 11:53 am

I just checked alsamixer and all channels are on full output, and are not muted. I think I am going to give up here, and hope it will be solved when I upgrade to Mint 7...

It's pretty frustrating :(
hups
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eliwood on Sun May 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Same problem here, so I think it's not a user-mistake what causes this problem.

EDIT: Reverting to older version of gstreamer solved my problems.
Eliwood
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pdc_2 on Fri May 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi hups; I have just started using Mint and pulseaudio seems to be a component of the sound, as well as alsa;

we could not get sound out of ext speakers; what worked for us:

have no sound playing: go to: Menu: Sound & Video: PulseAudio Volume Control: select the left tab: Playback: no sound stream will show;
start audio stream: now in Playback, there should be an audio stream showing: RIGHT-CLICK on it: you get two options: move stream or terminate: select MOVE STREAM: hopefully you may see Front or some such option: select what seems to be your ext speakers: even as a check, it is useful to become familiar with this

any use to you?
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MisterD on Fri May 22, 2009 8:51 pm

I don't have any sound either. I installed both Mint 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 on a multiboot configuration. I have a desktop machine with an Intel GNT series motherboard. It has an onboard audio chip. In Sound Preferences it comes up as HDA Intel STAC92xx. I also have a Creative Audigy 4 sound card. I am using the Audigy card in XP and Linux Mint version 5 and I have audio in both cases. I think the audio subsystem is now broken. No matter what settings I specify in Sound Preferencest, nothing works. And this is true in Ubuntu and Mint 7 RC1. In XP I had to disable the IDT HDA Codec in order to get the Audigy card to work. So I am wondering if there is some sort of conflict preventing audio output. I'm going to load Mint 6 tomorrow to see if that one works. Perhaps a bug has been introduced into the latest Linux kernel.
MisterD
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs