Video player question

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Video player question

Postby rivers79 on Sun May 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I have just recently installed Mint 6 on my desktop and am having an video player issue. The player seems to start up fine when I just start the player alone. However, when I try to start it with a video it starts for about 2-3 seconds then shuts down. I installed VLC media player and the same thing happens. Any ideas of what I could try?

Thanks,
Colin
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video player question

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Since you have already tried VLC, I reckon it's probably a bad media file (e.g. incomplete download/corrupted file). Can you play other similar media files? Is the filesize about right (compared to similar media files)? Have you been able to play this file before (under linux)? Unfortunately I doubt there's anything you can do about a corrupted media file.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Video player question

Postby rivers79 on Mon May 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I am sorry, I meant to post a reply to this. It was the drivers for the video card. I have the proper ones installed now and I can now see videos, no matter the player.

Cheers.
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs