Audio Fail

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Audio Fail

Postby meadcd on Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 am

Hi all.
a few weeks back i started experiencing an issue where i was unable to play mp3s. I'm running Mint6 on a Dell Optiplex GX620, and up until recently i've had no problems playing any audio whatsoever.

I normally use Rhythmbox but thought that the player itself got messed up, so i reinstalled, to no avail. i tried installing amarok, to no avail.

i tried upgrading pulse, alsa, esd, and anything else i could find that was installed already and part of the sound system. no channels are muted.

Here's what happens.

1) i boot.
2) i get to the gdm login screen where it gives me the little chime that says 'hey, log in now -n- stuff' ...
3) i log in, and get my login confirmation chime.
4) i try to play an mp3 using rhythmbox. when i hit play, it acts as though it's going to start playing but the progression bar stays at 0:00 ... it's like the application can't get control of the sound card.

5) i've tried listening to webcast radio (with a web player from the station i listen to) and it doesn't work either, which seems to further my assumption that access to the soundcard has been denied, or is otherwise impossible for some reason.

I've been through a couple posts and rolled back all sound related things (that had been updated) to their original condition.
I've checked my channel settings and nothing is muted.

i had installed virtual box, which i just (while i was posting this) removed, and i'm about to reboot, so i'll post my findings on that in a moment...

has anyone else had this specific problem? i did notice a couple other posts but no one indicated whether they get audio until they log in,etc ....
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Audio Fail

Postby meadcd on Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am

update: removing virtualbox didn't make a difference. i've tried to play the login wave by running "gnome-open <filename>" and the player of course crashes, but command line, i get the following output:

pulsesink.c(634): gst_pulsesink_prepare (): /GstPlayBin:play/GstBin:visbin/GstBin:abin/GstBin:audiosinkbin/GstGConfAudioSink:audio-sink/GstBin:bin6/GstAutoAudioSink:autoaudiosink1/GstPulseSink:autoaudiosink1-actual-sink-pulse
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Further information

Postby meadcd on Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 am

I tried doing this as another user, also to no avail... does anyone know if you can do a sort of OS repair, similar to windows XP? i'm not averse to trying it, and i have little but time on my hands :)
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs