Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Postby akshunj on Mon May 14, 2007 1:47 pm

Which do you guys thinks works better. Mplayer has been VERY flaky lately. Has anyone had some success with Totem?
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 am

Mplayer is a plugin in my Firefox, totem is not. Both are flaky at the moment - they stop and buffer and I've got an 8 mbps ADSL :(
Can be a network problem.....
//edit//Yepp Lagnappie.la which is on the other side of the atlantic ocean from me has the problem, a webradio nextdoor works ok in totem//
But I've managed to listen with Totem where mplayer failed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Should have been more specific

Postby akshunj on Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 pm

I mean the firefox plugin. Which are most Mint Linux-ers using? The Mplayer plugin is default, and it's not very reliable. Endless buffering and such that is unrelated to the speed of my internet connection. I haven't used the Totem plugin, so I was trying to find out if any other Mint users have been, and how they feel about it.

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Mon May 21, 2007 5:41 am

Go for Totem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby maduranga on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:03 pm

I have used totem-xine plugin under ubuntu and it works perfectly in firefox. I have 512Kb ADSL. But media streaming through totem-xine worked perfectly without a pause. Now there is Mplayer plugin for the firefox by the default in Mint. In most stream lines, mplayer failed to start playing. some of them are very poor quality when comparing with totem-xine. And.. now... I'm searching for something like How-To to change my default media streaming plugin to totem-xine....

Maduranga
maduranga
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Negen on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:04 am

i tried both and both seem to have similar results but i use mplayer because every thing seems to just work have not had a file i cant play
Negen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Postby salai on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 am

How do I change from Firefox mplayer plugin to totem plugin (Mint Daryna). Mplayer used to work earlier with Celena but not anymore (in Finnish Broadcasting Company news http://areena.yle.fi//). When I tested with Live Gutsy, which uses totem, it loaded codecs and worked without problem.

MPlayer plugin starts to load streams, but then only stops.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Postby akshunj on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:41 pm

salai wrote:How do I change from Firefox mplayer plugin to totem plugin (Mint Daryna). Mplayer used to work earlier with Celena but not anymore (in Finnish Broadcasting Company news http://areena.yle.fi//). When I tested with Live Gutsy, which uses totem, it loaded codecs and worked without problem.

MPlayer plugin starts to load streams, but then only stops.

Just go to "Package Manager" and select Totem-Mozilla. It should automatically prompt you to uninstall the mplayer-plugin, as they would conflict each other. If not, do it manually. Then install, start firefox and enjoy. Or not. I think both plugins suck. Thankfully, most video these days is in Flash. Cross platform, stable enough, and a decent linux plugin.

I have learned to live with MPlayer for the few times I need it...

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs