[Solved]Video Issues

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[Solved]Video Issues

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm running an AMD 4400+ with a 7200 rpm seagate drive, maxed ram and a ATI HD 2900 Pro Video card.
I posted in the newbie forum but haven't got any particularly helpful answers, basically the same answers as I got from google, which is understandable since I'm a total newbie and don't know anything about what I'm doing:) However I've already tried the answers, and nothing is working.
My original problem was that I had no fancy effects since the included drives don't do fancy effects. I upgraded to ATI Catalyst 9.5, and have also tried the suggestions from the other thread
including
Apt clean &&...
and reinstalled FLGRX I believe.
And I still have the same issue, which is massive flickering, stuttering and slow video playback. It isn't the hardware, that card is fast.
I'm willing to move to another driver even if I lose the fun stuff like wobbly windows etc, or uninstall whatever it is that provides that(compiz?)
Decent video playback is a must, no video editing here, just basic net access, play dvds, maybe a few .mkv files and email.

Is there any way to rollback the drivers to a basic setting and start from scratch(seeing if they work that way, then trying again to upgrade to FLGRX)
and If I stick with the original drivers that don't do 3d etc, is there any way I can turn off the annoying warning telling me I ought to use restricted drivers that pops up every time I boot?

EDIT: I've tried reinstalling the ati driver with no luck, seems to be installed ok though:
Code: Select all
fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
OpenGL version string: 2.1.8087 Release

But when I go to remove it, the first step seems to be to remove the package from synaptic, I find no packages with that name, so I'm not sure if it's just not installing properly at all?
Last edited by StrawberryWeasel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video Issues

Postby plumm on Fri May 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint! It appears that your xserver and screen display are working, only video playback is not. For your video card you can find drivers at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx. Try to get video playback working first without acceleration and special effects. You can add these later once your settings are correct. Check under Administration -> Hardware Drivers that it is activated. When opening a DVD with MPlayer, go to Preferences -> Video -> Available Drivers and change to X11 (Ximage/Shm). You should get normal playback.
plumm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Fri May 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Those are the drivers I installed that screwed up playback totally, could you explain a bit more about the x11 instead of catalyst thing?
I was told there is also an open source driver instead of the ATI one I could use, would that stop the annoying pop ups demanding I install the ATI version every time I boot?

Mplayer won't play my movie(the only one I have to test with is a .mov, VLC will play it though)

I'm hesitant to reinstall catalyst after the massive pain in the butt it caused last time.
I've had video playback working both before and after catalyst, just badly before and worse after. So I should reinstall catalyst but not activate the wobbly windows and such, or is there another set of settings I need to turn off?

EDIT: With a fresh install video played ok, I did a clean install of the flgrx as well, and I have flickering black frames in the video again.
What is causing this?
Is there a open source driver I could use instead that would at least allow for video playback?
I found a link suggesting that editing the xorg.config to add
Option "TexturedVideo" "off"
would solve it, but it told me I don't have permission when I try to save.
Turning off all effects solved the flickering video, but I want my effects and to eat them too :(
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun May 31, 2009 2:45 am

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you had a look at this link it may help.http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks:) that's a good link. I solved the problem by reinstalling all over again and then turning off all effects.
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Glad alls OK. Could you please edit the header on your first post as solved.

Thanks
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs