I'm running a very old IBM NetVista. Until a week ago, I had been running Kubuntu 8.10 with no (sound) problem. However, when I installed Linux Mint 7 (reformatting HDD in the process), I immediately lost all sound playback.
(I hope I'm not repeating an already-answered question - I've searched / read the recent posts on "no sound" and "lost sound," but the suggestions haven't worked for me - or, I don't understand them well enough to execute. I tried the "general solution for Intel HDA sound" Husse had posted, but it didn't seem to make a difference - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=17801&p=107982&hilit=ich8+alsa#p107982
Symptom: No sound when I try to play .wav files and audio CDs (e.g., using Movie Player, Gnome Mplayer, and Mplayer Movie Player). No sound when I play clips on sites like Youtube.com.
Here's the "aplay -l" list of playback hardware devices found:
card 0: I82801BAICH2 [Intel 82801BA-ICH2], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801BA-ICH2]
card 1: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4830]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
card 1: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4830]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
card 1: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4830]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
Here's the soundcard info from lspci-v...
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: IBM Device 022c
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
I/O ports at 1400 [size=256]
I/O ports at 1800 [size=64]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 8026
Flags: bus master, fast Back2Back, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 2000 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1
I'm not quite sure which of the following (if any) is the right place to check for obvious problem (i.e., muting), but here's what I see...
* PulseAudio Volume Control - neither the Intel nor the SBlive card is muted on any tab
* PulseAudio Manager - I don't know what I should look at here, if anything
* Gnome Volume Applet - Nothing muted
* Mint Control Center --> Sound --> Devices tab: I've tried various selections, but at present I have "SBLive! ADC Capture / Standard PCM Playback (OSS)" selected for all playback items (I do get a tone from my speakers when I hit "test")
* Mint Control Center --> Sound --> Multimedia Selector: Output plugin is set to "PulseAudio Sound Server" (I get a tone when I hit "test")
I want to use the SBLive, not the Intel.
Can anyone suggest next steps I should take?
Thanks in advance for your patience / help - Rob L