videos scale nicely in gecko-mediaplayer in mint[SOLVED]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

videos scale nicely in gecko-mediaplayer in mint[SOLVED]

Postby flick on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 pm

But not in Ubuntu. I'm using stock Jaunty, 32 bit, the medibuntu repo so I'm using what I think is the same mplayer package as Mint. But videos always fill the whole browser window. When I checked out Mint, videos scaled nicely in the browser window, didn't look so stretched. Anyone know of any mplayer or gecko-mediaplayer settings I could tweak to match Mint's much nice implementation?

EDIT : so I've compared all the packages I think are relevant. Gecko-mediaplayer and gnome-mplayer both come from Ubuntu repos in both distros. Mplayer comes from medibuntu repo for both distros ( I use Medibuntu on my Jaunty install ). Firefox comes from Ubuntu repos in Jaunty, and Mint repos in Mint. Anyone know of any build-time or post-build configuration changes Mint devs make to Firefox to make videos scale so nicely, where Ubuntu Firefox builds do not? If, indeed, I am on the right track?
Last edited by flick on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: videos scale nicely in gecko-mediaplayer in mint

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:07 am

As far as I can tell, mint takes the upstream firefox and only changes a few default configurations from the original source, whereas ubuntu adds a series of patches to make it fit in more with the distro, so you could try either compiling from source, or using the mozilla ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-d ... rchive/ppa to get a more "true" firefox. If that doesn't work, you might get more help at the ubuntu forums in trying to get the best setup.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: videos scale nicely in gecko-mediaplayer in mint

Postby flick on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 pm

emorrp1 : thanks for the suggestions. Gave them all a shot, tried some other stuff, couldn't get the results I wanted. So I installed Mint 7 and am tinkering around. It's eerily set up the way I'd like Ubuntu to be set up.
flick
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs