Playing .avi movies makes me cringe

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Playing .avi movies makes me cringe

Post by oakhilltop »

I hope I'm just missing a package or something. When I play a .avi file the sound is ..... well, not good. Very choppy, scratchy and add whatever you like to the list. I've tried gnome-mplayer, kaffiene, vlc and others.

BTW, I've also noticed that I can't resize .mpegs either. I can resize them, and the window gets bigger, but the movie stays the same size.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Playing .avi movies makes me cringe

Post by oakhilltop »

I take that back. It seems to be that particular file. I think. I have uploaded that file to a website and it plays on there. I opened a different .avi and it played fine. When I tried to resize it, the computer crashed. At least X windows crashed. The screen when black, and the mouse and keyboard did nothing. I had to reboot. After reboot, I tried resizing the same movie that caused the freeze, in vlc, and just the movie froze. Playing .avi files on this computer is problematic. It seems like it works if you don't mess with the size.

I am using the ATI driver.

Return to “Sound”