Issue with playing DVDs, .avi files

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Issue with playing DVDs, .avi files

Postby Cariboo on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:46 am

Hello,
On a new HP Laptop dv4 AMD Turion, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD.
I installed, so far successfully, Linux Mint 7 Main Edition (Gloria) together with the factory installation of Windows Vista.
The model is "HP - Pavilion dv4 1320ca".
I have trouble with playing DVDs or ,avi files. It does not matter which player I use, vlc or MoviePlayer, the playback is always kind of chugged or choppy.
I fear I don't have the right driver for my graphic card ATI Radeom HD 3200.
I attach xorg.conf and lspci files. Please help to get this laptop running under LM :?
Attachments
Playback.tar.gz
xorg.conf and lspci files
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Self-built MSI-785GM-E51 Desktop, Dual boot: LM15-64bit-Cinnamon and Win7-64bit , Samsung Galaxy S4 un-locked.
Cariboo
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Issue with playing DVDs, .avi files

Postby DrHu on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Cariboo wrote:I have trouble with playing DVDs or ,avi files. It does not matter which player I use, vlc or MoviePlayer, the playback is always kind of chugged or choppy. I fear I don't have the right driver for my graphic card ATI Radeom HD 3200.
I attach xorg.conf and lspci files. Please help to get this laptop running under LM :?

That could be or the ATI drivers just don't work (as well as nvidia drivers do..)
http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_ubuntu_and_ati_blues
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/369621
In Terminal, you can check version numbers that are being said to have issues with ATI..

X -version
--check the xserver version running
uname -r
--check the kernel versions running

You will have to be careful with these steps, reading before doing..
If you feel brave, you could try a manual install of the latest ATI drivers from the ATI web site
--or try the hardware detection in mint menu>control center>Hardware>Hardware Drivers, see which ATI it wants to install, and compare that to the ATI website versions..

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
Try in a terminal
sudo /usr/bin/envyng
--runs envy which should attempt to pull in and install the latest ATI drivers for your card..
/usr/bin/envyng --help
ERROR: you need to provide a parameter:
"-t" for the textual interface
"-g" for the GTK frontend (Not yet available)
"-k" for the QT4 frontend
"--uninstall-all" to completely remove what EnvyNG has done
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Cariboo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks DrHu,

After working through all your suggestions I discovered that there is an impact on video replay when Compiz is running...
Now, this is not very pleasant...I think about giving up this ambitious idea to have LM running on a machine not assembled with Linux compatible hardware....
Self-built MSI-785GM-E51 Desktop, Dual boot: LM15-64bit-Cinnamon and Win7-64bit , Samsung Galaxy S4 un-locked.
Cariboo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby DrHu on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Cariboo wrote:...I think about giving up this ambitious idea to have LM running on a machine not assembled with Linux compatible hardware....

ATI is compatible, if they (AMD) would keep up to date with Linux development, closer to how nvidia functions..
--nvidia has usually been considered more supportive of Linux
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs