Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Postby 0ddity on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Just installed Mint 7, love it, installed my restricted proprietary ATI drivers fine (reason I switched from Fedora 11), youtube videos work fine, sound works fine. When I play an avi movie in VLC or Mplayer, etc, the video is a little choppy, and when I try to go fullscreen, I lose signal to my monitor. I don't know if its just switching to a resolution my monitor doesn't support, or what, but hitting Esc doesn't bring it back, and the only thing I can do is a hard restart.
0ddity
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Postby DrHu on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 am

Context needed
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765972
Hardware is notebook, desktop cpu, video card used
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby 0ddity on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Computer is a desktop, with a Celeron 2.53 Ghz, 1GB ddr, and an ATI Radeon 3650 HD.
0ddity
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DrHu on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=ati
VLC video output mode, X11 or XV ?
In VLC tools>preferences>Video, usually set as default which should be ok for the display/video card , but it can be changed..

There is also the all settings in preferences >all>video, lets you see more options. for video that is output modules..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby 0ddity on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm

At first it was set to default, but I also tried x11 and opengl, didn't make a difference. Its not VLC that is the problem though, as it has fullscreen/playing issues in all the other video players I have tried, which is all that come with Mint, plus a couple I installed. I also tried installing the restricted codecs, that didn't make a difference. Mplayer has the least problems, the video runs fine and it switches to full screen fine, but the full screen video is the same size as it was before fullscreen, ie, not really fullscreen. Just a tiny video with lots of black around it.
0ddity
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hernando on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 pm

I have the same problem.
In VLC I managed to make it work fullscreen (real fullscreen) with the X11 output.
But the rest of the programs keep having the problem you mention. Fullscreen not really a fullscreen. And the default Mint player open, but just close itself without playing, inmediately.

I hope someone issue an update to solve this... I would love to know more about Linux to configure every problem and help others... but ,that's not the case.

Regards,
Hernán.
hernando
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs