Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0ddity

Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Post by 0ddity »

Just installed Mint 7, love it, installed my restricted proprietary ATI drivers fine (reason I switched from Fedora 11), youtube videos work fine, sound works fine. When I play an avi movie in VLC or Mplayer, etc, the video is a little choppy, and when I try to go fullscreen, I lose signal to my monitor. I don't know if its just switching to a resolution my monitor doesn't support, or what, but hitting Esc doesn't bring it back, and the only thing I can do is a hard restart.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Fullscreen video beaks desktop

Post by DrHu »

Context needed
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765972
Hardware is notebook, desktop cpu, video card used
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

Computer is a desktop, with a Celeron 2.53 Ghz, 1GB ddr, and an ATI Radeon 3650 HD.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=ati
VLC video output mode, X11 or XV ?
In VLC tools>preferences>Video, usually set as default which should be ok for the display/video card , but it can be changed..

There is also the all settings in preferences >all>video, lets you see more options. for video that is output modules..
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

At first it was set to default, but I also tried x11 and opengl, didn't make a difference. Its not VLC that is the problem though, as it has fullscreen/playing issues in all the other video players I have tried, which is all that come with Mint, plus a couple I installed. I also tried installing the restricted codecs, that didn't make a difference. Mplayer has the least problems, the video runs fine and it switches to full screen fine, but the full screen video is the same size as it was before fullscreen, ie, not really fullscreen. Just a tiny video with lots of black around it.
hernando

Post by hernando »

I have the same problem.
In VLC I managed to make it work fullscreen (real fullscreen) with the X11 output.
But the rest of the programs keep having the problem you mention. Fullscreen not really a fullscreen. And the default Mint player open, but just close itself without playing, inmediately.

I hope someone issue an update to solve this... I would love to know more about Linux to configure every problem and help others... but ,that's not the case.

Regards,
Hernán.

Return to “Sound”