mint 7 update breaks audio streaming - resolved somewhat

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mint 7 update breaks audio streaming - resolved somewhat

Postby lduvall on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 am

Running Mint 7 - and I listen to several online radio streams. The latest update broke the audio streaming. I normally use Firefox, but also run Galeon and Epiphany and streaming is broke for all three . After trying a variety of things, including searching the forums and google, I reinstalled - formatting / but leaving /home untouched.

Streaming audio worked once again. I did the update, and it is once again broken. I start Firefox in safe-mode and it is still broken. --> Rhythmbox plays just fine, it is the streaming audio that doesn't work <-- checked 3 different stations that use different streaming methods and none of them work (they do work on a different machine, so it is a Mint-specific issue).

Any ideas?
************************************************************** update

I really dislike the startup "ding ding ding", and I had discovered a while ago that if I go into admin, Login Window Preferences and set both Login Screen Ready and Login Successful to "card_shuffle.wav" it did away with the annoying startup sounds. I have also discovered that this is what kills the sounds for audio streaming - I was doing it immediately after installation. Under Ubuntu 8.04 (on my laptop) and 9.04 on my flashdrive this gives two card shuffles when I log in, and everything continues to work. Under Gloria it gives two card shuffles, and kills the streaming. If I don't set Login Successful to the "card_shuffle.wav" the sounds works under Gloria. If I set it the streaming dies - a very replicable result, at least for me. The update had nothing to do with it.

So I resolved the streaming issue, but now have to find a working alternative way to kill the annoying "ding ding ding"!
Last edited by lduvall on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lduvall
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint 7 update breaks audio streaming

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:26 am

Streaming radio works for me - fully updated
Can you check the mintUpdate log (in View) for sound updates
I have a bunch of updates today for pulse audio but apart from that I don't see any audio updates
If you find an update you can then open Synaptic and use the option "Force Version" in the "Package" menu to get the previous version
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs