Thumbnails disappear on video files

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Thumbnails disappear on video files

Postby markosmaniakas on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am

I just got Linux Mint Gloria 7 and after having been with windows all my life i have to say i'm impressed. Everything is smoother, faster and looking nicer.
However, when i open my movies folder only two or three of 30-40 movies have a thumbnail, the rest have a movie file icon. Is there any way to make all video files display a thumbnail automatically?
Maybe there's something I'm not doing correctly in preferences.

Thanks
markosmaniakas
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Thumbnails disappear on video files

Postby clhodapp on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:23 pm

This thread is the same as this one: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=29958&p=172730
I moved my reply over there.
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dlkreations on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Maybe this will work... Open Nautilus and go to Edit then Preferences. Click the Preview tab and check the Other Previewable Files section and change the dropdown box where it says "Only for files smaller than".

I am not sure since all my video files have preview thumbnails. It's worth a shot.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby markosmaniakas on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:57 pm

When i open my menu and i search nautilus it gives me the nautilus actions configuration. I don't think it's where you want me to go.
I clicked on preferences and i don't see a preview tab. I don't know how to get to the dropdown box where it says "Only for files smaller than".
What's weird is that i have 2 videos out of 30-40 that have a thumbnail but the properties and size are the same as the ones not showing a thumbnail.
I'm using Linux Mint Gloria 7. Other than this glitch I'm loving linux. Please help!

Thanks.
markosmaniakas
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clhodapp on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Nautilus is the default Mint file browser.
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markosmaniakas on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 am

Ok I did what you suggested. Inside Nautilus, edit, preferences, went to the preview tab and switched the setting to always show thumbnails always. Still nothing!
I also changed the setting under that: only for files smaller than "4G" is what i selected. The videos are between 700mb and 1.3G usually. Still nothing!
I find it weird that i only get preview thumbnails for the 2 videos i mentioned before. The rest have a movie clip roll logo.

This is frustrating!
markosmaniakas
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs