VDPAU in Gloria

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nyberg

VDPAU in Gloria

Post by Nyberg »

Hello!

I was wondering when linux mint will add vdpau support. I was long thru the net yesterday and found vdpau ppa for ubuntu, I added in linux mint and updated my computer, this resulted in disaster, no graphic driver at all, no possibility to go back. I reinstalled the computer again.

When will the drivers be updated to 185.X and would it be possible to add the vdpau in the original smplayer etc?

The ppa is located at https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa.

Kind regards
Henrik
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: VDPAU in Gloria

Post by Husse »

I think this has to be an extra option
From what I can find out it's for GeForce 8 and later
We are now using the Ubuntu restricted drivers right off so when an update arrives I don't know
Slowly we are adding our own solutions and maybe this will be Mint specific in the future (Mint 8 Helena will be less Ubuntu than Gloria, but of course the base is Ubuntu)
Lantesh

Re: VDPAU in Gloria

Post by Lantesh »

Hey thanks for the link. The instructions on the launchpad PPA page weren't very good, but I managed to get it working great. If you want to try it again yourself I'll help you out. It probably helped in my case that I already had the 185 nvidia driver installed, but if you get that going first the rest is easy. What's not really mentioned in the directions are all the different packages in addition to smplayer and mplayer that you have make sure you upgrade in Synaptic. After you've enabled the PPA search for everything that has the name xine in it, and look at the installed version, and the available version names. Upgrade all the xine packages that have a version in the PPA. Also you will need to install the vdpau-video package. I hope that helps.

Return to “Sound”