Recording audio through soundcard

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Recording audio through soundcard

Postby mrsteed on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:15 am

Hello all,

I am having trouble recording audio via my sound card. I have a Creative Audigy 2 card and would like to use audacity to record radio plays,
I have missed, from the internet. I have tried every combination from the volume control lists , audacitys preferences and the main sounds
config. All other audio functions work fine, its just the record facility I can't fathom. I am using Mint 7 Gloria by the way.
Many thanks for any light you can shed.
mrsteed
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Recording audio through soundcard

Postby brazilparrot on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 am

Hello Mrsteed,

Sorry to disappoint you but I've got no answer, just exactly the same problem. If you solve it yourself, could you post the solution? Unless there's someone out there who's got any ideas? I've heard that there's nothing that can't be solved in Linux through the community!
I've also tried every permutation of sound manager etc. etc. and audacity prefs and every time all I get is flat lines & no recording. I'm very used to Audacity as I've used it for years in Windows (and in ubuntu Hardy Heron).

For me Audacity is crucial as I record lots of streaming stuff. And I notice there's no recording alternatives in Linux (other than voice recording etc).

I've only just got Linux mint - having created a dual boot a few days ago, and am absolutely blown away by it - I just love it (normally on Windows, currently 7) and have managed to get 2 important Windows-only apps working beautifully with WINE, so the only problem is with Audacity.........but it's a big problem.

HELP! I don't want to have to go back to Windows now I've tried Mint!

Thanks for reading this.
brazilparrot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby brazilparrot on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 am

Sorry, just realised I didn't make clear that I'm also using Mint 7 Gloria. I haven't seen this problem on any other forum, so could it be specific to Gloria?

Thanks!
brazilparrot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby littlejoe5 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 pm

If I understand you rightly you are trying to record streaming audio from the internet to a file on your own computer using audacity. I don't think that that is a feature of audacity. I could be wrong and there might be a recommended way to do it. I did however find a way to do it - a workaround.

If you can plug into the earphone jack with a patch cord that will allow you to plug the other end of it into the microphone input, you can adjust the output volume from the streaming audio, and record to a file in audacity. Problem: you must run some experiments to get the volume right. The microphone input is not designed to recieve so much volume as the earphone jack puts out. Another problem is that you are passing it from digital to analog and back by this process. The loss can be great or negligible. And on some systems it might not work at all.

It did my laptop no harm, but I can't swear that it will not hurt your system. It is after-all a 'work around". If someone has a simpler or safer way, I'm interested also.
littlejoe5
littlejoe5
Level 1
Level 1

Postby brazilparrot on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:38 am

Many thanks for your help littlejoe5; that is a good idea and one I'd definitely try as a last resort.

But I can't understand why the record function won't work, as I've used it for years very successfully on every OS I've had (inc. Unbuntu as well as all the various Windows' OSes); it records in an Audacity format file, but then you convert it within Audacity to any other kind of file, WAV or MP3, with a Lame encoder dll)

Plenty of people have had problems getting Audacity to record, but all the posted solutions (involving permutations of in-Audacity controls and in-system audio controls) don't work for me or the other post-er Mrsteed. So it looks as though it's back to Windows 7.

Unless anyone has any other ideas? Many thanks
brazilparrot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby igorzwx on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:02 pm

You may try jack with Audacity.
And you may also try an old version of Audacity (but it may not work with pulseaudio).

The best solutions might be a kind of streamripper
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ub ... oq=&aqi=g1

MPlayer (command line) may do the work too.
igorzwx
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs