other font in console?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

other font in console?

Postby soomon on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:16 am

hi,
is there a way to (or better: how do i? ;) ) change the font used in the console? (not terminal in gnome..) cause i don't like it :S
how can i change it?
thanks & greets,
soomon
soomon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Alephcat on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:15 am

I seem to remember that there is a way, but I can not remember what it is so unless one of the others can I suspect that google maybe your friend :wink:
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: other font in console?

Postby scorp123 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:14 am

soomon wrote:hi,
is there a way to (or better: how do i? ;) ) change the font used in the console?

There is a package called console-setup which should be installed on your system. It's this package that changes fonts upon boot. The config files you should take a look at are:
    /etc/default/console-setup
    /etc/console-tools/config

On my system I seem to have the font configured in /etc/console-tools/config (bottom of the file):
Code: Select all
# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num
SCREEN_FONT=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc2=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc3=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc4=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc5=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc6=lat0-sun16

Also take a look into this directory: /usr/share/consolefonts ... All your available console fonts are installed here. So if you want to change your font to something else there are plenty of possibilities to pick from. There is also a program called setupcon (it's the same program which is called during the boot process) so I suppose it should be possible to play around with fonts during run-time, ie. without having to reboot every time before a new console font becomes active?? You'd have to Google around how to use setupcon, I haven't used that one yet. Looking at this boot script /etc/init.d/console-setup I can see that setupcon gets called during system boot ... maybe this can give some clues about the right syntax so you could try to change the fonts without reboots in between ... ?

Regards.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs