other font in console?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I seem to remember that there is a way, but I can not remember what it is so unless one of the others can I suspect that google maybe your friend :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: other font in console?

Post by scorp123 »

soomon wrote:hi,
is there a way to (or better: how do i? ;) ) change the font used in the console?
There is a package called console-setup which should be installed on your system. It's this package that changes fonts upon boot. The config files you should take a look at are:
  • /etc/default/console-setup
    /etc/console-tools/config
On my system I seem to have the font configured in /etc/console-tools/config (bottom of the file):

Code: Select all

# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num
SCREEN_FONT=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc2=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc3=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc4=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc5=lat0-sun16
SCREEN_FONT_vc6=lat0-sun16
Also take a look into this directory: /usr/share/consolefonts ... All your available console fonts are installed here. So if you want to change your font to something else there are plenty of possibilities to pick from. There is also a program called setupcon (it's the same program which is called during the boot process) so I suppose it should be possible to play around with fonts during run-time, ie. without having to reboot every time before a new console font becomes active?? You'd have to Google around how to use setupcon, I haven't used that one yet. Looking at this boot script /etc/init.d/console-setup I can see that setupcon gets called during system boot ... maybe this can give some clues about the right syntax so you could try to change the fonts without reboots in between ... ?

Regards.

Return to “Sound”