Ripping DVDs in Linux

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Ripping DVDs in Linux

Postby theevilone6620 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 pm

I am wondering if someone can tell me if it is possible to rip copyprotected DVDs in Linux with any of the tools available. In windows I am used to using AnyDVD to overcome the copyprotection methods used to prevent copying DVD's. So far from my Google research I have not been able to find a solution to being able to copy or rip ANY dvd to my hard disk.

I am hopelessly lost when it comes to media in Linux. The 5 similar but different media players included in a Mint install on top of Xine and Gstreamer, back ends, front ends, command line version etc. Gnome Mplayer, Mplayer, Totem Xine, Totem Gstreamer, Xine player, etc. What is the deal???

I already posted in regards to this but this post I just wanted clarification on what a good solutino to ripping DVD's that are protected is on Linux. But while I m at it if anyone can explain the media player situation to me that would be great as well
Check out my blog at http://mintguru.blogspot.com/If anyone would like to contribute to the project send me a message..
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LinuxDruid
theevilone6620
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ripping DVDs in Linux

Postby atlef on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:53 am

Open a terminal and and write:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

This let's you bypass copy-protections.

Now install Handbrake, (this rips to any format) and rip away. Or if you want to rip to .ISO files, I would suggest k9copy.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Ricbritain on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:02 pm

I was going to start a similar topic.

I've tried 'Handbrake' and 'k9copy' and 'acidRip' on my ASUSeeePC. I found it difficult to use any of them to rip a DVD, but I think this was related to the fact that my small screen made things difficult to negotiate. I guess this problem is a different topic though.
Ricbritain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby surfzombie on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:17 am

If you just want to rip the main movie you can use a little program called Lemonrip or if you want to make a backup copy of the entire disk use K9copy. Both work Great. Just google lemonrip and you will find it. K9copy is in the repository. Use mintstall or snaptiic package manager to install it.
surfzombie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby The_Weaver on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:47 am

I use a program called DVD::rip. Works well for me.
The_Weaver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ricbritain on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:14 am

Ricbritain wrote:I was going to start a similar topic.

I've tried 'Handbrake' and 'k9copy' and 'acidRip' on my ASUSeeePC. I found it difficult to use any of them to rip a DVD, but I think this was related to the fact that my small screen made things difficult to negotiate. I guess this problem is a different topic though.

I've been using 'Acidrip' and 'k3b' to rip and burn on Mint. They seem to work better on Mint than they did on Ubuntu.
Ricbritain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tinca on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 am

I think that you can use the ever reliable "VLC media player" to rip DVD's

Best regards Keith
Case Corsair Graphite 600T White | Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK | CPU Core i7 4790K | PSU Corsair 1000w RM Fully Modular | Graphic Card Radeon R7 250 | Cooler Corsair H100i Extreme | Ram Corsair 2 x 8 gb Vengeance Pro |
tinca
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs