Linux Mint for HTPC ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farna

Re: Linux Mint for HTPC ?

Post by farna »

I figured out the full screen issues on SyFy.com... user ignorance!

Anyone have Boxee running on 64 bit Mint8, and does it work with NetFlix? I found something about installing 32 bit Boxee on Ubuntu x64, but thought I'd ask here before trying it. Maybe I should just reformat this machine and go with 32 bit... seems like there isn't a lot of 64 bit support out there, and unlike Windows, 64 bit Linux doesn't automatically run 32 bit -- what's up with that!!!
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

I know in Australia, it's actually cheaper to get one made with the wire rather than buy already done. 99c a meter!
farna

Post by farna »

I made a big post on my HTPC setup on my "New to Linux Mint" blog. Rather than repeat here I'll pass on the link:
http://newtolinuxmint.blogspot.com/2009 ... -htpc.html
rocknerd

Post by rocknerd »

Hi,

I am new to Helena x64. I have played with Linux Mint 7 main edition under WinXP before, and liked what I saw. I was looking for a distro that would playback everything I would throw at it. It also had to have a broad base for hardware support.

I just finished building an HTPC and equipped it as follows:

Linux Mint 8 Helena x64 edition.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H, AMD RS785 chipset, Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200.
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz.
Memory: 4 Mb DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel.
WD 500GB Green HDD 32MB Cache SATA.
Samsung DVD burner SATA.
Logitech wireless desktop MK700

I am not using mint4win. Hope to add a tuner card down the road. Decided to keep it simple for now. Low heat dissipation was the main factor driving this project. Number two factor was cost.

Everything works (Hurray!), except for the HDMI connector not carrying sound. I have installed the ATI Catalyst (fglrx) proprietary driver as suggested by Mint. The picture is great. TV reports 1360x768 resolution. Cable is new, HDTV is new (Samsung 32" 720p). I used cheap cable that supports HDMI 1.3b. I have nothing else to try the cable or HDTV with. Sound on TV works with AV inputs and Coax antenna for local HD channels. This is not a deal breaker but can't tell if the problem is pc hardware, driver or TV. Currently using audio out from PC to sound system. Mobo is capable of Dolby digital so sound is great.

I'm doing pretty well compared some of the other posts I've read. I'm not posting to solve a problem (although that would be nice), but maybe my machine specs may help or inspire someone.

I have used linux in the past on old clunkers (Pentium, Pentium II & III, AMD Athlon Classic). This rig flies!

rocknerd.
arjelou06

Post by arjelou06 »

I really found this thread useful to me since I bought my new Linux mint. It is very great when I used through DVD. It has guidelines on how are we going to do it also.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

If you are new to Linux and using it for an HTPC, then you probably will get some help here, too.
cova

Post by cova »

farna wrote:The only "glitch" is that the @ and " are switched for some reason. 2 and ' work fine. I can live with that since everything else works flawlessly!
This will be to do with your keyboard settings. US keyboards have the " on the ' button and @ on the 2 button, but UK keyboards have 2 as " and ' as @
Something I usually have to look out for when Im setting them up being from the UK so changing the keyboard settings will help with that

Return to “Sound”