Sound problems (sound crackling) in Helena

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Sound problems (sound crackling) in Helena

Post by hoppel »

Hi,

since the sound was working on my hardware perfectly with Gloria, I was astounded to have those difficulties:
When I play sounds with Helena, it seems to have problems with playing more than one musicfile at a time. I noticed it mainly while playing "The Battle for Wesnoth". The sound is crackling very often when an event is making a noise additional to the background musik - which is playing flawlessly. After playing for some time I already lost complete sound two times already. One time I recovered sound by reducing the loudness to zero and then turning it back (with the gdm preferences).
I didn't have this problem with the previous versions of Mint.
My hardware is the onboard sound of the ASUS M3N78 pro moainboard. This seems to be a Realtek ALC1200. Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
surfjdh

Re: Sound problems (sound crackling) in Helena

Post by surfjdh »

My sound cracks too, but only when playing stepmania songs, so i guess its something with stepmania.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

With HD Audio the crackling often is caused by power management of the HD Audio device.

Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
If it mentions "HDA Intel" you can try the following:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Find the line that starts with

options snd-hda-intel power_save
type a # at the very beginning of this line to disable power management. Then save the file and restart Mint.

Since I made this tiny correction I've got no cracklings any more :)
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

I was removed pulseaudio. Since I made this tiny correction I've got no cracklings any more :lol:
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

@ ej64:

cat /proc/asound/cards
gives me

HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 21
I have a line

options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
would you advise me to '#' it?

@ Mike65: Do you mean a specific package?
Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

I Just went to the package manager and removed pulseaudio. It was offered to remove some other packages, and i accepted it.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

hoppel wrote:@ ej64:
I have a line

options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
would you advise me to '#' it?
Yes, I would try it. If the crackling's gone you're fine, if not you can restore the line anyway.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

I tried it, and it seems to work. Needs further research though, because yesterday I played just for a short time.
Yes, I would try it. If the crackling's gone you're fine, if not you can restore the line anyway.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Ok, tried longer - seems to reduce the error, but does not remove it. The sound has still some flaws, but it doesn't crash completely like the last time. Maybe I try removing pulseaudio next...

Edit: Again I got a crash - and this time the soundsystem crashed the x-server, too. It wasn't even possible to restart the x-server, I had to reset the computer. Horrifying, I guess, I have to remove pulseaudio. I hope I get it done. I would change back to Gloria, but there my networking didn't run properly...

another edit: this doesn't help either.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

ej64 wrote:type a # at the very beginning of this line to disable power management. Then save the file and restart Mint.
Thanks for the tip. Back in Mint 7 I had terrible problems with sound that were only resolved by upgrading my kernel to 2.6.31, and also upgrading ALSA and Pulse Audio to newer versions. After all of that I still experienced crackling when adjusting the volume. This issue carried over with Mint 8 (well actually I'm using Karmic converted to Mint while waiting for the x64 release), which makes sense as Mint 8 uses the 2.6.31 kernel and the same ALSA and Pulse versions I had upgraded Mint 7 to. Your tip has significantly helped my volume crackling issue. It's almost completely gone now. Thank you!
byisk

Post by byisk »

What do I see? I thought I'm the only one with such a problem, but obviously I was wrong. I want to say a few words about my issue. I hardly play games, there is only one game I play regularly - TeeWorlds. I really love this game, but it is not so significant. What is important now, that is a problem with sound. I have played this game running under Helena several times for test and sound either is played as dippy or isn't played at all! There is a tool called Sound Preferences and I had come with an idea that is a problem with muting. So I ran TeeWorlds within window, not a full-screen mode, and I went to Applications tab in Sound Preferences. What did I see was blanking icon with the name of application :shock:

I will try Mike's solution, but I'm scared a lil' bit, because I used to execute such crazy ideas under Ubuntu and everything went wrong. The principal problem was the Alsa - Ubuntu just didn't let me use DMix, so I had to play sounds only from one application at time! :?

By the way, I'm thinking about reaintallation Helena. I have some issues with my hardware, I'm not really sure my memory is working well. I used some mainboard with AMD chipset, so on-board graphics card was Radeon, and it was probably broken down, because I had been getting a lot of segmentation faults. I had tested memory then and it showed me some errors. As I could remember this motherboard was overheated. So I replaced my mainboard (everything took me less than a one day, because I have some additional hardware for replacing) and some problems vanished, but not all of them. The new mainboard is based on NVidia platform. The first thing I had to do, was compile a module to kernel with nvidia driver, which is really easy, and it is default way to install nvidia drivers in Debian. I had to do this, because after replacing motherboard, X Server didn't want to get up. I rebooted my machine and I saw blurred picture on the screen :? I have been trying to configure that to now. I made a lot of things, even installed drivers from Mint's repository - there's v. 185 in Mint's repo and I had 190.42 - but it changed nothing. Then I realized that it could be a problem with refreshing the picture, so I changed refreshing from 60 to 75 Hz in nvidia-settings and picture is awesome now, but compiz stopped working at all. Even back to the previous configuration doesn't help this window manager. I'm really sad about this :cry:

Does anyone know what the hell is going on? :|

I'm removing Pulse Audio now and if it doesn't help me, I will reinstall Helena.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot it. I wanted to say that I had "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N" line hashed already.

Whoops. It looks like NVidia driver broke down, because it really doesn't want to allow me to play this game ^^'
Screenshot-Terminal.png
EDIT2: I recompiled nvidia kernel module, it told me I had driver already and it was going to be replaced, I agreed and voila! Compiz works, teeworlds works, also sound in all applications except Totem (dunno why) - teeworlds, vlc, decibel-audio-player etc. Hurray! :)

Return to “Sound”