Missing volume control

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dreyT

Re: Missing volume control

Post by dreyT »

If none of above fixes help you, try to install volumeicon-alsa

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get volumeicon-alsa
and start it like this:

Code: Select all

volumeicon
this solution saved my day =)
P.S.: don't forget to add this command to startup apps. :D
LinUser42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinUser42 »

Had same problem in Linux Mint/Mate 17. Solution appears to be much simpler now - just go to System/Preferences/ then rt click on the sound icon. It gives you a menu option for adding it to the panel.
joshuadaniels713

Post by joshuadaniels713 »

In Mint 17 XFCE
Installing "PASYSTRAY" fixed it for me
It now appears to be part of the notification area;
My speaker icon appears between the
MintUpdate and XFCE Power Manager Icons

Anybody know of a way to rearrange the order of the icons in the notification area?
I seem to be allowed only one notification area on my desktop, so I can't just have two copies with different icons hidden/not hidden in each.
They seem to be in alphabetical with no way to change the order they appear.
I would like the speaker to be the left-most icon in the notification area.
jonas-e

Post by jonas-e »

I got it! Open "System Settings", click on "Applets", find sound and click "Add to panel" - voila!
1.png
2.png
cybervigilante

Post by cybervigilante »

Missing volume control. Right clicking on the applet in the applet panel doesn't do anything at all. Is there another fix?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

This is an ancient thread first started 8 years ago. It would have been better to have started a fresh thread as well as stating which version of Linux Mint you are using.

Assuming that you are using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, right click on the panel, select "add applets to the panel" and then select "Sound".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
parkjoel

Post by parkjoel »

This may be the computer being in fallback mode. Just reboot and the volume control should be back.
ema_gia

Post by ema_gia »

This did the trick! Thank you for your help. Was driving me nuts! :shock:
tdockery97 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm Happened to me once. If I remember right, when you right click and select "add to panel", you won't see "volume", you will see "indicator applet". select that.
seyerman

Post by seyerman »

I had the same problem and it was solved with right clic on task bar, then Panel -> Add New Items -> write "Indicator Plugin" on the search text area and finally you have to add this item on bar. This name doesn't have anything sense but it is the option to put de sound icon (and its options) in the notification area.

I hope this steps can help you.
janpetel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by janpetel »

Even though this is an old (ancient) thread, I thought I'd post a finding of mine anyway, so others might benefit.

I start this from my Startup Applications list (with the command below).
However, my Notification Area volume control icon disappears (crashes?) once in a while. Without having to log out, I reinstate it with the following command line command:

mate-volume-control-applet &

You enter this in a Terminal (command) window.
You wouldn't normally need an ampersand (&), but it
is here to return from the command directly so you do not need to keep the command window open.

Pressing Alt-F2 ('Run Application') and then entering the command (without the ampersand) will also do the trick.
GRAVEL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GRAVEL »

beefstu wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 am Strange, thats where I'd have thought it was. Another thing to try is goto "Startup Applications" under Preferences in the Mint Menu and see if Volume control is ticked, even if it isn't try unticking then ticking it again and restarting.

I've found out that the volume control is part of the notification area, try adding that that from right-click, add to panel.

Do you have working sound and can you change the volume from "Sound" in preferences menu? If not it could be a deeper problem than just the missing icon.
Would you believe I get the Connection Applet Icon instead of the Volume Applet Icon when I add Notification ?

Return to “Sound”