[SOLVED] Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Postby Old Marcus on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorry to carry on flogging this dead horse, but I can't get flash working in Firefox on Helena x64. I can get it working OK in Chromium, but Chromium's ad blocking extensions are poor at best and I prefer Firefox anyway. I've tried reinstalling mint-flashplugin-x64 and also tried installing the 32 bit version, but no cigar. It would be nice to have flash working, as it's the only thing making x64 Helena a pain atm. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Old Marcus on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am

Fogging an old horse :)
Yes indeed - I have to look at this again
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby subslug on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm running Helena x64 and not having any flash issues. What sites are you having problems with?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Husse: in the UK the term is normally 'Flogging a dead horse'. :)

subslug: Just about everything really, in Firefox/Swiftfox no flash works at all. Not Youtube, iPlayer etc. In Chromium flash works fine, but the adblocking addons are a load of old rubbish compared the adblock plus, and it makes browsing really annoying.

I've also noticed that all file associations in Firefox/Swiftfox have gone, so to open something I've downloaded, I have to go to the file itself, rather than run it from the browser.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Flash is hit and miss in 64 bit right now. Sometimes flash will work just fine for me and other times I have to reboot and it will start working again. I have tried different versions of flash, right clicking and turning off hardware acceleration, turning on hardware acceleration but it does not work consistently. I am still at a loss to find an acceptable solution to keep flash working reliably.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:14 am

In addition to what exploder states, try to turn off Compiz
Compiz is always something that can hit graphics performance
I think exploder can help you with this if he finds a way to help himself :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Old Marcus on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Hmm, graphics performance isn't an issue with me, I basically just get Firefox not recognising flash is installed, so sites say: "You do not have flash installed etc..." Which is a pain, sinceflash works perfectly in chromium.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh - I did not get that, it almost seems like you have noscript turned on
In Preferences > Content check that you have not disabled javascript by mistake - I think javascript is needed to use flash
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Old Marcus on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 am

No, noscript is definitely set to allow youtube, it just seems that Firefox isn't linked to the flash that's installed.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 am

And what about Firefox itself? That was what I was thinking of
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby subslug on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 pm

I just had an episode where FF would crash on any page requiring Flash. Chrome worked but not FF.
I had allowed a fairly large bunch of updates so I rebooted and the issues seems to have gone away now.

I tried running FF from a console and the only message it kept giving was something to do with the Quakelive plug-in which I un-installed.
FF still crashed after removing the plug-in until I rebooted the machine, things look ok for now.

Obviously something in the update wanted me to restart.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 am

Probably not in the update but what happens when you boot is that a lot of paths to files are read and dependencies established and that may be needed to redo
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby subslug on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Nevermind

I just had not visited the offending site until now. Gmail crashes Firefox every time without fail.
I can get to Google, even iGoogle but going into Gmail itself and FF disappears.

Even on Chrome I get a warning that the Flash plugin has crashed but, at least Chrome stays running.

Not really sure if this a Flash issue or a Gmail issue or what it is but otherwise FF works fine.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby XidCat on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I have been trying to wrap my head around this looking for a common thread. I started thinking hardware/drivers, but people have different results in different browsers on the same machine. But then again, some have problems with Browser A, but B is mostly OK, the next person says B doesn't work, but A does....

Then there is me... I use 64 bit, bouncing around between FF, Opera and Chromium. I never have problems anywhere. I use YouTube and GMail as referenced above. I tried iPlayer per Old Marcus, works fine. I hit a Flash games online sometimes when I get bored, never had any problems. exploder says hit or miss, I haven't even experienced that. I must have pleased the Adobe gods in a previous life... :roll:

Using Mint8 x64. I have not done anything to modify my browsers, ie straight from the repos or the OS install, ditto with Flash. I always have Compiz off. I have a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card using NVidia driver 185.18.36; 6 Gb RAM, Phenom 9550 quad-core processor. Looking at Synaptic, the only Flash package installed is mint-flashplugin-x64 10.0.32.18-mint1

Old Marcus, did you try running FF straight from the live CD to see if it works?
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I always have Compiz off.

That helps a lot
And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby XidCat on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Husse wrote:And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen

Yeah, I didn't think so, but subslug said GMail was tanking his FF every time and Chrome was throwing a Flash error on GMail; thought maybe there was a Flash element hiding in there. I looked at the page source, didn't see any...
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Leppie on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 am

Husse wrote:And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen

i would say gmail does use flash, since they adapted "drag n drop" functionality.

the ubuntuforums actually has a nice howto on x64 flash: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358591
Cleanflash: resolve your flash issues the easy way
Leppie
Level 4
Level 4

Postby subslug on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 pm

It's certainly Flash related. I have verified it by running FF in safe mode and enabling add-ons one by one and going to Gmail. No crashes.

Then I enable plugins one by one until Flash, then is when FF crashes.
I don't know about the Gmail/Flash thing. There ought to be a way to turn it off in Gmail.

The error I get when FF crashes is GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
Segmentation fault
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 pm

I remember flash working in Firefox from default install, but then I installed Swiftfox and attempted to uninstall firefox, and that screwed up flash, file associations, everything. If I can fix that, I might be able to fix flash.

EDIT: Turns out the flash plugin won't work with swiftfox 3.6, but it will with Firefox 3.5. I reinstalled everything and file associations are back as well. :)
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 am

There was a new version of flash for 32 bit today - security update - but maybe it'll come for 64 bits too and .....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs