[SOLVED] Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

[SOLVED] Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Post by Old Marcus »

Sorry to carry on flogging this dead horse, but I can't get flash working in Firefox on Helena x64. I can get it working OK in Chromium, but Chromium's ad blocking extensions are poor at best and I prefer Firefox anyway. I've tried reinstalling mint-flashplugin-x64 and also tried installing the 32 bit version, but no cigar. It would be nice to have flash working, as it's the only thing making x64 Helena a pain atm. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Flash x64 not working in Firefox

Post by Husse »

Fogging an old horse :)
Yes indeed - I have to look at this again
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I'm running Helena x64 and not having any flash issues. What sites are you having problems with?
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Husse: in the UK the term is normally 'Flogging a dead horse'. :)

subslug: Just about everything really, in Firefox/Swiftfox no flash works at all. Not Youtube, iPlayer etc. In Chromium flash works fine, but the adblocking addons are a load of old rubbish compared the adblock plus, and it makes browsing really annoying.

I've also noticed that all file associations in Firefox/Swiftfox have gone, so to open something I've downloaded, I have to go to the file itself, rather than run it from the browser.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Flash is hit and miss in 64 bit right now. Sometimes flash will work just fine for me and other times I have to reboot and it will start working again. I have tried different versions of flash, right clicking and turning off hardware acceleration, turning on hardware acceleration but it does not work consistently. I am still at a loss to find an acceptable solution to keep flash working reliably.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In addition to what exploder states, try to turn off Compiz
Compiz is always something that can hit graphics performance
I think exploder can help you with this if he finds a way to help himself :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Hmm, graphics performance isn't an issue with me, I basically just get Firefox not recognising flash is installed, so sites say: "You do not have flash installed etc..." Which is a pain, sinceflash works perfectly in chromium.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh - I did not get that, it almost seems like you have noscript turned on
In Preferences > Content check that you have not disabled javascript by mistake - I think javascript is needed to use flash
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

No, noscript is definitely set to allow youtube, it just seems that Firefox isn't linked to the flash that's installed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And what about Firefox itself? That was what I was thinking of
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I just had an episode where FF would crash on any page requiring Flash. Chrome worked but not FF.
I had allowed a fairly large bunch of updates so I rebooted and the issues seems to have gone away now.

I tried running FF from a console and the only message it kept giving was something to do with the Quakelive plug-in which I un-installed.
FF still crashed after removing the plug-in until I rebooted the machine, things look ok for now.

Obviously something in the update wanted me to restart.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Probably not in the update but what happens when you boot is that a lot of paths to files are read and dependencies established and that may be needed to redo
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Nevermind

I just had not visited the offending site until now. Gmail crashes Firefox every time without fail.
I can get to Google, even iGoogle but going into Gmail itself and FF disappears.

Even on Chrome I get a warning that the Flash plugin has crashed but, at least Chrome stays running.

Not really sure if this a Flash issue or a Gmail issue or what it is but otherwise FF works fine.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

I have been trying to wrap my head around this looking for a common thread. I started thinking hardware/drivers, but people have different results in different browsers on the same machine. But then again, some have problems with Browser A, but B is mostly OK, the next person says B doesn't work, but A does....

Then there is me... I use 64 bit, bouncing around between FF, Opera and Chromium. I never have problems anywhere. I use YouTube and GMail as referenced above. I tried iPlayer per Old Marcus, works fine. I hit a Flash games online sometimes when I get bored, never had any problems. exploder says hit or miss, I haven't even experienced that. I must have pleased the Adobe gods in a previous life... :roll:

Using Mint8 x64. I have not done anything to modify my browsers, ie straight from the repos or the OS install, ditto with Flash. I always have Compiz off. I have a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card using NVidia driver 185.18.36; 6 Gb RAM, Phenom 9550 quad-core processor. Looking at Synaptic, the only Flash package installed is mint-flashplugin-x64 10.0.32.18-mint1

Old Marcus, did you try running FF straight from the live CD to see if it works?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I always have Compiz off.
That helps a lot
And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

Husse wrote:And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen
Yeah, I didn't think so, but subslug said GMail was tanking his FF every time and Chrome was throwing a Flash error on GMail; thought maybe there was a Flash element hiding in there. I looked at the page source, didn't see any...
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

Husse wrote:And Gmail does not use flash, not what I have seen
i would say gmail does use flash, since they adapted "drag n drop" functionality.

the ubuntuforums actually has a nice howto on x64 flash: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358591
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

It's certainly Flash related. I have verified it by running FF in safe mode and enabling add-ons one by one and going to Gmail. No crashes.

Then I enable plugins one by one until Flash, then is when FF crashes.
I don't know about the Gmail/Flash thing. There ought to be a way to turn it off in Gmail.

The error I get when FF crashes is GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
Segmentation fault
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I remember flash working in Firefox from default install, but then I installed Swiftfox and attempted to uninstall firefox, and that screwed up flash, file associations, everything. If I can fix that, I might be able to fix flash.

EDIT: Turns out the flash plugin won't work with swiftfox 3.6, but it will with Firefox 3.5. I reinstalled everything and file associations are back as well. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

There was a new version of flash for 32 bit today - security update - but maybe it'll come for 64 bits too and .....

Return to “Sound”