Replacing iTunes

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Replacing iTunes

Postby Jonny87 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm

What app do people recomend to replace iTunes? I'm wanting something that can make playlists, sync with my i-Pod, and possibly drag playlists on and off my i-Pod.
Have tried Rythmbox and Banshee and am not happy with them.
Jonny87
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Replacing iTunes

Postby Aevum on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I heard of some people syncronizing their iPod through Songbird
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Jonny87 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 am

I've now tried Songbird along with Amarock and Listen. Still have had no success with either of these. Maybe I'm missing something abouth the programs but i cant get them to sync with my i-Pod. The most I can get is to have the i-Pod show up in the interface (except with Songbird) and play playlists off them. I cant seem to put current playlist on the i-pod. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Jonny87
Level 1
Level 1

Postby XidCat on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:03 am

Could be you are looking for an actual sync like iTunes does. I use Rhythmbox, it connects well with the iPod, but it doesn't sync in the conventional sense, it is drag and drop. When you plug in the iPod, you will see the iPod name on the left with your other sources. You go to your music list, select, drag and drop onto the iPod. You want something off the iPod, select the iPod, select your deletions and then delete. Rbox uses the iPod like a an external HDD, I think it's more reliable and quicker than an iTunes sync...
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Jonny87 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:00 pm

OK thanks, I did try Rbox first but didn't have much luck draging things across. Will have another go and try again though. I did prefer Rbox for general playing of music.
Jonny87
Level 1
Level 1

Postby XidCat on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 pm

I followed this setting it up and using it. The only difference I noted was that you do not have to close RBox to unmount the iPod. You can click the little down arrow beside the iPod in RBox and select eject, this will unmount the iPod and clear the "Do Not Disconnect" on the iPod... To me, this method is 100% than the iTunes sync. Hope it works for you...

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/03/ho ... in-ubuntu/
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs