HD movies problems -[Solved]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

HD movies problems -[Solved]

Postby fioan89 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi!Please help if you can:I have an acer aspire 5738zg with an ati mobility radeon HD 4570 video card with 512 VRAM and a Intel Pentium Dual Core at 2.1 GH and a FSB of 800 MHZ.Now my problem is this:i have and hd movie at 1080p,but i cant get a good playing i tried with ubuntu 9.10,9.04 and with linux mint 5.Now i have Linux mint 8 and surprisingly for me after i installed the driver for video card i manage to have a much better playing with mplayer wich come installed by default.But even now i get some "frozing" and if seek forward my sound or my subtitle remain behind!

Now i must say that i have a dual boot with an w7 and in w7 my video run perfectly.Now i think that problem could be resolved by configuring the player i tried something but only get worst!

So if someone have some ideas and advice for me please help!I don't want to go in w7 just for playing a movie.I must say that hd movies that have 720p run perfectly in Linux mint!

Cheers!
Last edited by fioan89 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HD movies problems

Postby remoulder on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:43 pm

How did you install the ATI graphics driver, via Hardware Drivers? Have you run aticonfig --initial? Have you checked this thread?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby fioan89 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:25 am

Yes i install the driver's via hardware drivers,but i did nothing more.Right now i'm going to run that commnad and read that post!
Thanks!
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fioan89 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:48 am

Well i tried but nothing so instead of destroying my good configuration i will ask you if could play the movie at a low resolution.For example the hd movie play at a1900x1200,maybe if a play at 1024x768 would give better result!.I was thinking to convert the movie at 720p but probably that would take 2 hours !
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Postby remoulder on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:10 pm

fioan89 wrote:instead of destroying my good configuration

If you mean your xorg.conf, by default you don't actually have one, but if you do it is quite easy to back this up before making changes, in a terminal enter
Code: Select all
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

You should at least do the aticonfig --initial.

Re the video, is this streamed video or stuff on local disk? If streamed, the problem could be your internet connection. If local, it's worth trying different media players and adjusting the settings. Mplayer should work fine but you may need to try different drivers, enable the cache and postprocessing, direct rendering, etc. You might also want to try vlc which uses it's own codecs
apt install vlc
I wouldn't recommend converting the video, it should play fine on your hardware. You might want to take a look at this (huge) thread on ubuntu forums http://joeb454.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=2630c6fdfa78cc2fac564e8c78c785c1&t=766683

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby fioan89 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Hello,guy's i came here after a lot of players testing.I tried multiple media player,but can get to a rezolved point.Today i found a media center called xbmc,it's awesome,it work great and it have a nice interface!I cant make a comparison with other multimedia centers because i didn't try them and i don't have in mind to do that as an old word says:"don't change the wining team".If your media player doesn't satisfy you,it will worth to try this app.If want to download and install the app go to http://www.xbmc.org and go to the download section.

Cheers!
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Postby remoulder on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:50 pm

So are you saying your problem is resolved? If so can you edit the original post and add Solved to the title please.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: HD movies problems -[Solved]

Postby fioan89 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Yea my problem is solved!
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HD movies problems -[Solved]

Postby fioan89 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi again :lol: .I'm coming with good news for you.If you don't like XBMC,i have a new solution.Today after some search on Sourceforge i've find a piece of app called mplayerxp wich stand from MPlayer with extra performance.I download it,compile it and it works perfect!If you want to try it ,first you need to install from synaptic the theora dev packages,and you need to go http://vidix.sourceforge.net/,download that driver,compile it and install it.After that you can go at http://mplayerxp.sourceforge.net/ and download the mplayerxp.If you wonder what's different from the known MPlayer,well from what i understand from their site,mplayerxp it's build from ground up with the idea of using multiple cpu that burst your video playback.Plus it use the vidix driver wich acording to wikipedia:
VIDIX (video interface for *nix) is a portable interface which was designed and introduced as an interface to userspace drivers to provide DGA (Direct Graphics Access).

In short, the philosophy of vidix may be pointed as: "to be traditionally available package of video drivers for *nix players". It's just a free package of drivers which are tuned for video playback projects. They covers almost all needs of video-players and provide simplest abstraction layer for them.

If you need more info about vidix you can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidix

Now i'm really happy with my Linux Distro

Cheers!
fioan89
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs