help with ffmpeg in mint 6

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emk

help with ffmpeg in mint 6

Post by emk »

I am trying to convert mpg videos to avi and am getting no audio. I don't think it is relevant but the source is mpeg2 1920x1080 29.97 f/s, ac3 48k Hz 384kb/s

Just trying a simple command line like the following, the video encodes, and it appears the audio copies, but there is no sound on playback.

ffmpeg.exe -i test.mpg -acodec copy test.avi

The same command in Mint 7, or windows, results in a file that plays correctly. Comparing an output file from Mint 6 or Mint 7 using Gspot I don't see any difference in the file information.

I think I've updated all the packages that relate to ffmpeg but still doesn't work. I really don't want to upgrade to Mint 7 on this computer just to get ffmpeg working. Any suggestion on how to get this working under 6?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: help with ffmpeg in mint 6

Post by Husse »

ffmpeg.exe
Do you run in Wine?
If so - why? ffmpeg is a native Linux app
The same size of the files?
I don't really have a solution, just asking a few questuions to narrow it down a bit
Have you checked the ffmpeg site?
There is a ffmpeg forum here
emk

Post by emk »

Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm not using wine. I mentioned that it works on windows to show that there wasn't any problems with the syntax or my test mpg file. I used the same file under windows, mint 6 and mint 7, and it only fails under mint 6.

Now I could do the conversion in windows or mint 7, but I have those on a notebook and a netbook respectively, and I have weeks worth of video to convert. I'd much rather run my desktop with mint 6 round the clock.

I've been trying to stay with what's available in the repos, but the mint 6 version doesn't seem to work. Well maybe something has gotten screwed up, so I'll try reinstalling those packages first. Then I guess I'll download the source and build it.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I just ran into a situation with kdenlive where I had to change some of the ffmpeg libraries from the default to the unstripped versions (for rendering purposes). Don't know if it will address your specifics, but probably worth a shot.

I added the unstripped versions of

libavcodec and libavformat

Note: by doing this, synaptic will remove the default installed versions.

-DataMan

Return to “Sound”