How to play WMV files in Helena (Linux Mint 8)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lilchakki

How to play WMV files in Helena (Linux Mint 8)

Post by lilchakki »

Hi Everyone,

I am not able to play WMV files from Linux Mint 8.

I tried installing VLC, w32codecs but none helped me..

I get this message when tried to play the file:

Code: Select all

No packages with the requested plugins found
The requested plugins are:
video/x-asf-unknown decoder
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: How to play WMV files in Helena (Linux Mint 8)

Post by vrkalak »

"I am not able to play WMV files from Linux Mint 8.

I tried installing VLC, w32codecs

The requested plugins are:
video/x-asf-unknown decoder"

LinuxMint usually comes with all the Codecs installed already. No need to find and add any more.

vlc player usually is able to handle just about anything I have thrown at it.
Except, this one. video/x-asf is not really a WMV file ... I don't know what it is.
The only video player I have found that can literally handle everything is SMPlayer. (not just the MPlayer)

SMPlayer is in the Synaptic Manager repositories.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to play WMV files in Helena (Linux Mint 8)

Post by Midnighter »

What is ASF?
ASF stands for Advanced Systems Format. It was developed by Microsoft as part of the Windows Media framework. ASF is most commonly used for streaming media purposes. The format doesn't specify the way video or audio should be encoded. ASF specifies the structure of video or audio stream. Due to this encoded with different audio or video codecs the files will still have .asf extension (just like other container formats AVI or OGG).

Like ID3 tags for MP3 files ASF files can also contain objects representing metadata. For audio - artist, title, album and genre. For video - director. Files of ASF format support playback from digital media servers, HTTP servers, and local storage devices.

The advantage of ASF format is that you may begin playing your video file before it is streamed to the end. If you got an ASF file and want to convert it to AVI, MPEG, or WMV we recommend using Total Movie Converter. It's very fast, easy-to-use and powerful. See for yourself;) Download the free trial copy now to try it out.

http://www.coolutils.com/Formats/ASF

------------

It's a streaming format, not a normal codec really. It's not a standard wmv file, which would play fine. I don't have any to try, so can't recommend a course of action. Sorry. All the best.

Return to “Sound”