Playing a DVD (Solved itself)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

Playing a DVD (Solved itself)

Post by RavenStandsAlone »

When I went to play a DVD I got a message. It says: An error occurred No URI handler implemented for "dvd". What do I do now Virgil?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
This is the InterWeb? Where's the beer? And gimme lime with that Corona...
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Playing a DVD

Post by remoulder »

You post does not provide enough information, please see the forum rules before you post. Where do you get this error? What application are you trying to use? What version of mint is this and what software have you installed and un-installed?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

remoulder wrote:You post does not provide enough information, please see the forum rules before you post. Where do you get this error? What application are you trying to use? What version of mint is this and what software have you installed and un-installed?
I get the error message on my monitor. I was trying to play a DVD in Mint 8. Some sorta media player. I posted the error message. Does the error message mean something different in different programs? This is the error message complete>An error occurred No URI handler implemented for "dvd".< what is a URi handler and how do I get it to "implement"?

I have no idea what software is installed. I installed this version of Mint this morning and I am trying to play a legally purchased DVD movie from it's original disc in my Sony DVD-RW and etc.

Lemme see. I have WINE installed and I tried to install the VLC player but it just crashes the GUI.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

So, uh, is anyone going to give me a hand with this or do I just wing it like with windows until I get it so messed up I have to re-install the OS or go back to Windows?

I have to say that I have gotten much more response in the past with the Mint forums. Are you people losing interest here?
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Have you tried right-clicking then file --> open with Movie player etc.
I tried to install the VLC player but it just crashes the GUI
Can you explain this a little better? Where did you install it from? Software/Package manager or online? what happens if you try to run it from the terminal. Using VLC is my usual solution to most problems like this, seems to be able to cope with whatever is thrown at it!

It possibly sounds like the restricted extras (codecs which are required for is not enabled, are you using the Universal version?

Found this on a bug report

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Please don't forget that everyone here are volunteers and its a bank holiday here in the UK and there was less than 12hrs between your last two posts
Are you people losing interest here?
bit harsh? Certainly not gonna help you getting help!
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

Okay, I ran the code provided in Terminal and now the video portion plays when I right-click and Open in Movie Player. However, now I have no sound. The little speaker in the corner says, Output: "100% 0.00 dB BT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) Analog Stereo"

And, thank you so much for the code. Got more?
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

See if it is recognised as playing sound, goto Sound in the Mint Menu and under Applications tab, see if movie player is mentioned (obviously whilst film is playing)

I assume sound works normally otherwise?
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

beefstu wrote:See if it is recognised as playing sound, goto Sound in the Mint Menu and under Applications tab, see if movie player is mentioned (obviously whilst film is playing)

I assume sound works normally otherwise?
Nope, no sound at all in any app. Dang, what am I missing?
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

TBH I'd recommend giving VLC a try, I just had a look on Ubuntu website about no sound for a DVD and their official support suggests using VLC.

Either find it in package manager or

apt install vlc
in the terminal
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Playing a DVD (Solved itself)

beefstu wrote:TBH I'd recommend giving VLC a try, I just had a look on Ubuntu website about no sound for a DVD and their official support suggests using VLC.

Either find it in package manager or

apt install vlc
in the terminal
Wow, sometime between when I left and when I returned for an appointment twol hours later it started working properly.
beefstu

Re: Playing a DVD (Solved itself)

Post by beefstu »

Well there's nothing like an easy solution!

Return to “Sound”