Windows Media 9 Decoder?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dodge

Windows Media 9 Decoder?

Post by Dodge »

Got a friend that wants me to do some video editing for him. The vids play fine but there is no sound on linux. Its fine on his windows machine.

When I open it with Totem it says that I need Windows Media 9 Decoder. I've searched the net and searched this board but can't seem to find a resolution to the problem. Can I get the codecs for Mint and how do I install them?

I am running Mint 8 X64 Gnome. Use Kdenlive for vid editing.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Windows Media 9 Decoder?

Post by markcynt »

Maybe these codecs will help.

gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Thank you. I just tried these and it still doesn't work...:( Still get this message.

The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install suitable plugins to play media files. Do you want to search for a plugin that supports the selected file?

The search will also include software which is not officially supported.

No packages with the requested plugins found

The requested plugins are:

Windows Media Audio 9 decoder
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

WHat does the file in question identify itself as? What does it show in properties?
vincent

Post by vincent »

Have you tried out VLC Media Player yet (it's available in the repos)? It has the widest range of support for all types of media and codecs, so if something won't work in Totem due to a missing codec, it might just work in VLC.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I use SMPlayer ... it has played every different codec and media, I've thrown at it.

SMPlayer is in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'll check out SMPlayer. Thanks for the suggestion.

VLC does the same thing. It just says that there is no way to fix the problem.

In Properties it says Windows Media video (video/x-ms-wmv) It is a .wmv

Works fine in Windows. I put it on my sons PC and installed Sony Vegas to do the editing for now. But, I'd still like to get this fixed so I won't have to mess with windows..

Thanks for the suggestion here.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

I tried several of my .wmv videos and they all work with Smplayer and VLC player.

I wonder if.....It might be worth trying to (using Package Manager) completely remove and then reinstall w32codecs. Who knows - it's worth a try and it might work.

Good luck.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Dutchmaster wrote:I tried several of my .wmv videos and they all work with Smplayer and VLC player.

I wonder if.....It might be worth trying to (using Package Manager) completely remove and then reinstall w32codecs. Who knows - it's worth a try and it might work.

Good luck.

Tried this last night. It didn't work either....:( Oh well its no biggie. I can play most wmv's with sound. I tried some different ones and they work. Just not those. Not sure what the deal is. I got the work done in an XP machine, so its all good. Maybe I won't run into this again...HOPEFULLY...:)

Return to “Sound”