Cannot play Hulu on Isadora

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot play Hulu on Isadora

Post by dswaim91 »

I get the intro commercials and then nothing at all. Any ideas? BTW. this is the 64 bit version of Mint 9.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Cannot play Hulu on Isadora

Post by JasonLG »

Hulu doesn't like x64 Linux, hasn't for a while now. People have been getting mixed results with the x64 version of the hulu desktop app.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dswaim91 »

I may just install the 32 bit version of Isadora instead. I do think that adobe is working on a new version of 64-bit flash for linux currently. I never noticed it on windows because I use Firefox which is 32 bit anyway as compared to the 64 bit internet explorer. Hmm... I guess these issues will all be resolved in time. :D
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dswaim91 »

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashpl ... 64bit.html This is the link for the pre-release version of Abobe's 64 bit flash player for linux and is a tar ball format. I like how they decided to work on 64 bit linux first rather than Windows or Mac OS. That's funny.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Google Chrome was the same way, supporting 64 bit Linux before Windows. Newer versions of Flash are suppose to support hardware acceleration eventually rumor has it. With HTML5 video starting to come into it's own flash had better change up it's game if it want's to remain competitive.
Kerrick

Post by Kerrick »

I'm having the same problem, and since I watch Hulu instead of paying for cable, this may stop me in the move to Mint I was trying to make since Google Chrome finally got a stable Linux release. Any clues on what I can do to fix the issue?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Kerrick wrote:I'm having the same problem, and since I watch Hulu instead of paying for cable, this may stop me in the move to Mint I was trying to make since Google Chrome finally got a stable Linux release. Any clues on what I can do to fix the issue?
You could switch to the 32bit version of Mint and run the pae kernal if you need to access more than 3.5 GB of RAM, or just open http://download.hulu.com/huludesktop.swf in the browser of your choice. It's what the hulu desktop "application" goes to when you open it. I use the word "application" very loosely as the hulu desktop app is nothing more than a browser frame that points to a swf file.
distrohopper

Post by distrohopper »

you could also uninstall the 64 bit version of flash and run the 32 bit version.
SeanBest

Post by SeanBest »

Stupid flash!
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

SeanBest wrote:Stupid flash!
Hopefully in a couple years when HTML5 takes over completely we'll all be sitting around and enjoying a Flash video-less internet a chuckling about all the trouble we used to have with it. But until then agreed, Flash sucks.
lacey

Post by lacey »

I wasn't able to get past the initial commercials at first with Firefox, but when I installed chromium ("sudo apt-get install chromium-browser"), it worked fine.
Kerrick

Post by Kerrick »

distrohopper wrote:you could also uninstall the 64 bit version of flash and run the 32 bit version.
Woohoo! That worked! Thanks! I just went into the "Package Manager" and uninstalled "mint-flashplugin-x64" and installed "flashplugin-nonfree" and it's working!
lacey

Post by lacey »

distrohopper wrote:you could also uninstall the 64 bit version of flash and run the 32 bit version.
This worked for me, too. Strangely, Hulu works with certain movies in 64-bit flash, but most of their videos won't play. Last night, I was able to watch Guarding Tess after installing Chromium, and I thought it was the change in browser. Not so. You have to use 32-bit flash with Hulu, and you have to make sure to uninstall the 64-bit.
scharkalvin

Post by scharkalvin »

This WAS working for me for a while. After a fresh install of Linux Mint 64 I installed the flash_installer package which added the 32 bit flash plugin. I was able to view Hulu videos.
Now today, it won't work, I only get the first commerical then nothing.
lacey

Post by lacey »

I think Hulu is experimenting/updating their site, creating some inconsistency.

I installed the firefox "User Agent Switcher" add-on. After you install it, right-click on the toolbar, select customize, and drag and drop the user agent switcher tool onto your toolbar. Then set it to pretend you are IE 8.

This, combined with uninstalling 64-bit flash and installing 32-bit, is currently working for me.

Return to “Sound”