I completely messed up my audio

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

I completely messed up my audio

Post by Stosskraft »

Ok having alot of trouble with Mint 9 audio, mostly sound cutting in and out, I decided to remove pulseaudio.

I first did this by opening synaptic and marking everything pulseaudio for complete removal except for 2 files (libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0) restarted and everything worked fine. I had the start up sound and perfect sound in my videos. I even installed the volume apt in the cairo dock and everything was great.

Then I messed up.

I tried to open the sound menu to reset my sound profile to 5.1 Audio, but could not open the menu to do it so I decided to re-install the pulseaudio and then change the setting. Then when I removed it again...the same way as before I have gotten no sound at all!!! Even the icon on my dock has a lock on it now.

Then I tried following the advice on this thread:http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showp ... ostcount=4

and still no go.

PLease I am not even sure what to do short of a new install and I really dont want to go that route.

Ideas please?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I completely messed up my audio

Post by Stosskraft »

Well I have re-install Mint 9 on my computer.

But I am having the same problem as before. When I watch a video with VLC, it is start off ok but then a couple seconds after the sounds cuts out completely,

Then I go in Audio and change the audio channel to 'Reverse stereo" and the sound will come back only for a few seconds, then I will change then channel again and then the sound will work only for a few seconds.

What is this? Can you remove PA from the package manager or the terminal?

I have done some searching but everything is coming up for Mint 8 and I am on Mint 9

Any ideas please?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You cannot remove pulseaudio from either mint8 or 9 without breaking your system.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Ok, good to know that, I was on Ubuntu 9.10 and removed it and it made a world of difference. That is why I ask.

The result in the terminal is:

lspci -k |grep -i Audio

\
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
06:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X

Thank you, any ideas?

I have noticed the sound last longer in the mono setting, but I have to keep switching between right/left channel in mono to get sound.

I thought Mint 9 was easier that ubuntu for this stuff? HOw come I cant even play a download video?
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Bump please. I updated VLC but same problem. Seems to work better in the MONO setting but I have to keep changing the channels as I watch a video??????????????/////
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Hello Still looking for suggestions.

I have been playing around with combining the soundblaster and the digital out put as 5.1 surround.

Still having trouble in VLC and no sound in kart racing but sound in other games.

Ideas

Return to “Sound”