sound system broken yet again

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bootdoc

sound system broken yet again

Post by bootdoc »

The problem is that I never know when sound breaks or what causes it to break. It seems that (almost) every time I run an upgrade the sound stops working. Sometimes it just starts working again for no apparent reason. I am currently running off a live usb stick (mint 9 64) and sound is fine although Pulse audio device chooser does not show any apps playing yet rhythm box IS playing. I don't understand this. When I boot to the native install and try to play music PAD shows the app playing but no sound. This so frustrating as I use audacity to learn guitar licks and such. I am tired of trouble shooting the sound system.

I have given some thought to switching to the KDE version of mint to see if phonon JUST WORKS. If there is an easy for sure way to get the sound working without pulse that would be great.

Any suggestions for either getting pulse working again or just plain replacing pulse?

I have been using linux since redhat 6.2 and get around the system fairly well but when it comes to figuring out pulse I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: sound system broken yet again

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
There is a Comprehensive How To Make your Sound Work , that may contain some Links for your resolution HERE = http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32293

I hope this helps , Have a Good Day.
bootdoc

Re: sound system broken yet again SOLVED

Post by bootdoc »

Jay514 wrote:Welcome To Linux Mint
There is a Comprehensive How To Make your Sound Work , that may contain some Links for your resolution HERE = viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32293
Thanks for the link. I have been using mint since Gloria and ubuntu since Dapper and have read all the "comprehensive sound threads". After trying everything including running alsamixer in terminal , I downloaded gnome-alsamixer and OIULA. everything was muted! even after unmuting via alsamixer. Now, why alsamixer failed to unmute all the channels and gnome-alsamixer worked is beyond me.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Return to “Sound”