Cant make DVDs with any software!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rich..b

Cant make DVDs with any software!

Post by rich..b »

Hey, i hope someone can help me with this.. its proper annoying....
i used to have Ubuntu on a webbook and burning with a USB DVD drive was always fine. now i have Mint 9 on a desktop and i cant burn it just comes up error after a few minutes (with all burning software) i have even gone back to burning with my USB DVD drive and still... error.... although i have burned to a dvd+rw but it dosent play in my dvd player.
i have no idea why its doing this i never had this problem with Ubuntu or Windows

any suggestions or solutions are welcomed and appreciated. thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OldManHook

Re: Cant make DVDs with any software!

Post by OldManHook »

rich..b wrote:Hey, i hope someone can help me with this.. its proper annoying....
i used to have Ubuntu on a webbook and burning with a USB DVD drive was always fine. now i have Mint 9 on a desktop and i cant burn it just comes up error after a few minutes (with all burning software) i have even gone back to burning with my USB DVD drive and still... error.... although i have burned to a dvd+rw but it dosent play in my dvd player.
i have no idea why its doing this i never had this problem with Ubuntu or Windows

any suggestions or solutions are welcomed and appreciated. thanks for reading.
What Software are you using? Check Your setting, Does you have the correct Codacs Installed, Your burn speed could be too fast, What Error do you get Need More Info to Help. :?
rich..b

Post by rich..b »

Hi sorry for the lack of info. i have tryed Gnomebaker, Braseo, and the cd/dvd creator. Iam burning at x2 speed i was told this is about right for iso's its the speed i always use. Gnome says input/output error. i cant remember exacley what the others say if you need to know i will try to burn some dvds and let you know i dont mind wasting the discs as long as it contributes to sorting it out. what codecs do i need? i have never had to install any before.

thanks for the quick reply OldManHook
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Just by a loooong shot, could it be that you are not in cdrom group?

to check, open a terminal, and type

Code: Select all

grep $USERNAME /etc/group
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Are you burning data discs or video discs?

What media of disc are you using (verbatim, etc)?

What model usb dvd-burner do you have?

What version of linux mint are you running?

I've had issues occasionally burning data discs or iso's with Brasero, but end up installing K3b, and it's never failed that i can recall.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
rich..b

Post by rich..b »

thank you all for the fast replys. iam not at my computer at the min i will be tonight though so i will try what you said 'unexistance'

Midnighter - the discs are 'Data/video' the manufactrer is Maxell and i have always converted my avi's into iso's
myusb burner is an NEC onr thats all i know and my burner thats built into the tower is a sony one.
Iam using Mint9.

i hope this is right, sorry if ive not been acurate. once again thanks for helping me out.
rich..b

Post by rich..b »

unexistance wrote:Just by a loooong shot, could it be that you are not in cdrom group?

to check, open a terminal, and type

Code: Select all

grep $USERNAME /etc/group

rich@rich ~ $ grep $USERNAME /etc/group
adm:x:4:rich
dialout:x:20:rich
cdrom:x:24:rich
plugdev:x:46:rich
lpadmin:x:105:rich
admin:x:119:rich
sambashare:x:122:rich
rich:x:1000:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What i meant by data discs or video discs was are you burning just plain data discs, or making dvd video discs?

As I said earlier, I've had undetermined issues with trying to burn sometimes with Brasero, or the builtin burner, so usually end up using K3b, and I've not had it fail yet. I haven't worked out what was causing the issue , and just found it simpler to use K3b most times.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
rich..b

Post by rich..b »

ok got sick of messing about with this, downloaded k3b and burned a disk first time no problems at all. i just dont understand why the other programs dont work... oh well k3b seems pretty good... so thanks for the advice! do you know if it can convert formats aswell? theres alot of options in the program cant seem to find out if it does, from avi to iso
:D
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

To make movie/video dvds, i suggest using Devede to create an ISO from the files, then use k3b to burn it to disc. Works for me. :)

Return to “Sound”