(repost) New version of OSSv4 available

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert-e

(repost) New version of OSSv4 available

Post by robert-e »

here:

http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi

This is opensource sound software, and both .deb and .rpm files for Intel, and Amd systems can be downloaded/installed. Please have a look at the linux install pdf file offered along with the download.

Regards,
Bob

(Note: this is reposted on the advice of Aging Technogeek)
B
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brian49

Re: (repost) New version of OSSv4 available

Post by Brian49 »

It isn't a new version, surely, just the latest build of v.4.2.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I advised robert-e to repost this after a PM discussion with him but on further investigation, I find the the original report of this item as spam is valid.

4Front is offering basically the same item available in Package Manager (search "oss4) but using proprietary drivers that are delivered with a one year free license and an invitation to buy a permanent license for $49.95.

This is not at all obvious on the site, a person could easily order the prebuilt package thinking he is getting all open source software and be unpleasantly surprised a year later when his drivers stop working.

I am leaving this topic open but please check the site carefully before you download anything.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I can confirm that the OSS4 proprietary drivers stop working after a period of time; it happened to me.

As a matter of fact, OSS3, the version which ships with Mint, is pretty good for sound quality, although much less configurable than OSS4. As for the OSS4 package available via the repositories, it isn't at all clear how to get it to work; it certainly doesn't set itself up automatically.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Hi
I have to get this posted quickly; there is a thunderstorm about to hit, and the wireless ISP stuff will surely crash soon.
All that is said above is certainly true; and I too will dump OSSv4 if they move from open source to closed. Their record in this regard is suspect. We will see. OTOH, while the drivers are prop., I will use them just as I use Nvidia and ATI drivers. Mint not only allows this, but indeed makes it very easy to do so, ie. restricted drivers utility. So far, when the time limit of one year elapses, a new version becomes available; hence this post/thread.

The pdf that accompanyies the software download is very plain in it's instructions for installing. While I use the command line, I suspect that one could just click on the deb file and it would install. I am not sure if synaptic would look after the deps.; it should, as that is what it is designed to do.

I think what is happening here is the ongoing philosophical discussion of the use of completely free (as in Stallman) software versus non-free software. Some users subscribe to Stallman's, and others do not. I believe that each must make up their own mind, and live with the constraints of their decisions. In the case of OSSv4, 4Front has provided me with the free use of their drivers. They seem to update the software yearly, and so it works for me. As long as I am allowed to uninstall the old, and (re)install the most recent, I see no difference to my using Nvidia, ATI, Skype, or a host of other non-free software. In other words, you may wish to caution other users of OSSv4, but to deny them the opertunity (knowledge) to use them is somewhat less than cricket. Should 4Front become closed source, you will see me post all over the place cautioning users.

Anyway, I will not post further on this matter, other than to say that the enlightened ideas with regard to software that works, non-free or otherwise, is why I am here in the first place. Mint works.

Best regards,
Bob
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As far as using the software is concerned, it is up to the individual user. I just wanted to bring out the rather obscure information about the proprietary drivers and the one year limit on free use. If, as robert-e says, you can install a newer version at the end of the year and get another free year, that's good. As he mentions, in this case it is similar to using the non-free drivers offered by Mint for graphics cards and some wireless cards.

About installation. The site offers a .deb package which installs with just a few mouse clicks via Gdebi package installer. Just right click on the package, select "Open with Gdebi Package Installer", and follow the directions.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I think my observation about getting the OSS4 package to work has been misread. I spoke of the package available via the repositories, not the one downloadable from the 4Front website. If you install via Synaptic, you don't immediately find yourself with a functioning OSS4 installation, nor is there any indication of how to achieve that.
fuzzyghost

Post by fuzzyghost »

Hold on, Mint ships with OSS? Which version? I installed the KDE version of Mint, because I thought the Gnome version would use PulseAudio.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

As I mentioned, Mint ships with OSS3. PulseAudio is a different matter - it's just a sound server, one of whose clients is OSS. If you don't like PulseAudio (and nor do I), you can uninstall it and have OSS still functioning.
fuzzyghost

Post by fuzzyghost »

I just recently moved to Linux Mint 9 on my laptop, was using Ubuntu mainly until this point. I've tried removing PulseAudio in Ubuntu, but every time it just takes sound with it. I'll try again some time later, but I have my laptop the way I want it, so I'm going to wait until I see a reason to install something else.

Return to “Sound”