Video Streaming Choppy

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gonsalvr

Video Streaming Choppy

Post by gonsalvr »

LM9,
Just purchased a new laptop from Zareason and running LM9 64bit and taking it out for a test drive and noticed that video streaming is very choppy.
System specs:
-Core i5-520M w/3MB of L3 cache
-4GB of DDR3 1066 Ram
-Nvidia GT 330M w/1GB of RAM

tried youtube or Hulu and attempt to watch a video or movie and it's stop go stop go approximately every 10 to 15 seconds. Very frustrating!! I made sure I cleared all the browser history and closed all programs not using etc., but still no clear movie.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
thank you,
Randy,
PS: I did Google this and there is sparse information regarding this topic using Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Video Streaming Choppy

Post by dawgdoc »

Open Synaptic/Package Manager and enter flashplugin into the Quick Search box to see if you have the proprietary flash player installed. Your solution may be to change from the Open Source flash player (Gnash) to one of the proprietary options, unless you are predisposed against that.

I am not running a 64bit OS so you may not have the same proprietary options as I. In fact, I recall that Adobe has ceased maintaining the current 64bit version of flash. There is a 10.x version available for 64bit, but it is not as upto date as the 32 bit version. If you can not get one of the 64 bit versions to run, there are instructions available in the forums for running 32 bit version in your OS.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What sort of connection is it using? Ethernet? Wireless? What speed is your connection? Also, the site itself could be getting hit hard, and just not be able to stream it to you quickly enough.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
gonsalvr

Post by gonsalvr »

Midnighter,
I'm using Sierra Wireless Overdrive, on 3G getting 120- 234 Mbps and on 4G signal strength is 20 to 64Mbps. Of course I'm having usual Overdrive issues, dropping signal, battery over heating, having to reboot to the tower fairly frequently. When its connected, the connection seems pretty solid and quick. My signal strength is 5 to 6 bars on 3G, and runs on average 3 bars on 4G. I live just south of Seattle in a little town called Burien, WA.
Randy,
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

If possible just try with Mint 8.
If your problem is similar to mine - it will go away by using old release.
Some prob with kernel video drivers

Return to “Sound”