convert youtube videos to MP-4?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

convert youtube videos to MP-4?

Post by gatorade »

I downloaded the Downloadhelper add-on for firefox and I saved a video to my laptop and it plays , however its in flv format.When I tried to convert it to MP-4 to play on a psp it said ,

"Conversion requires an external application that appears to be missing on your system.
Configure conversion ?"

attempting to dowload and convert at the same time results in the same pop-up message. Does anyone know how to do this, and can offer some insight as to why its not working?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
unexistance

Re: convert youtube videos to MP-4?

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

1. If you want to use the downloadhelper, it might help to install

ffmpeg

using Synaptic

refer to http://www.downloadhelper.net/conversio ... tall-other

Regards,
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I use HandBrake to transcode flash video to MP4 or MKV. It works great.

I added the HandBrake PPA:

Code: Select all

ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots
I then installed "handbrake-gtk" via Synaptic.

In Debian or LMDE, all I have to do is open Synaptic and install "handbrake-gtk." It is only with Ubuntu 10.04 / Mint 9 where a PPA is needed.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know how it goes when I try it.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

unexistance wrote:Hi,

1. If you want to use the downloadhelper, it might help to install

ffmpeg

using Synaptic

refer to http://www.downloadhelper.net/conversio ... tall-other

Regards,
I tried this but its still not working for some reason.
I still end up with a flv file . the file still plays but its not converted to mp4.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

Hey, I saw this post while browsing the forums and I thought I would provide the script I use to convert vids to a format usable on the psp.
(I tested this on both unmodded and modded psp's before posting)

Before anyone makes a comment about using a cannon as a flyswatter I should explain why I used python..
1. When I originally wrote the script I only had basic knowledge with bash scripts so I used a language I was more familiar with its usable commands and syntax
2. I wanted something I could easily drag and drop with
3. My wife's M$ pc had a hardware failure about 6 months ago preventing her from converting programs with whatever tool she used
4. Why not use a cannon to swat a fly sometimes?

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
# -*- coding: iso-8859-15 -*-
# A tiny script for re-encoding file's for use on the psp

import sys
import os

def message(msg):
    print "=" * 78
    print "= %s" % msg
    print "=" * 78

def usage():
    print "Video Re-Encoder"
    print "  Usage: "+sys.argv[0]+ " filename"

if __name__ == "__main__":
    if len(sys.argv) < 2:
       usage()
    else:
       filename = sys.argv[1]
       basename = filename[:-4]
       message("Encoding %s to suitable PSP Format" % (filename) )
       os.system("ffmpeg -i %s -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -r 29.97 -pass 1 -acodec libfaac -ab 128000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 %s.mp4" % (filename, basename) )
You would of course need to install ffmpeg for this to work, python is already installed on Linux Mint (not sure what versions do or dont have it, if there are any that do not). It also requires that you use chmod to make it executable. Creating a launcher (app in terminal) icon so that you can just drag and drop the file to begin the conversion is up to you (I like it as I can drag and drop quite a few files and have them converted simultaneously). So far this has been able to convert avi, flv, and resize other mp4's to be playable on the psp at a 320x240 resolution with minimum quality loss from what my wife and I can tell.

*EDIT* I almost forgot because I go into the habit of it... You can NOT have any spaces in the original video's name .. meaning if the video is "random video" you need to rename it to "random_video", "randomvideo", etc
Last edited by SilverOne on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I suggest trying Winff (a good gui front-end for ffmpeg) to convert it. Simpler.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

hi,

a friend was asking if this will convert videos to a format that the ipod can play.

can someone tell me what format the ipods/iphones use?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
swwets

Post by swwets »

Flvto converter is great to convert or download YouTube videos to other popular formats such as iPod, iPhone, Windows DivX, MP3 and others.

Return to “Sound”