How can I watch netflix "watch instantly"?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mindrifter

How can I watch netflix "watch instantly"?

Post by Mindrifter »

I got a new computer and I'm running it on isadora, but netflix "watch instantly" doesn't support linux. Is there any way I can get around that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: How can I watch netflix "watch instantly"?

Post by monkeyboy »

Dual boot with Windows. Last time I tried under Linux I got fed up and took the easy way out.
Mindrifter

Post by Mindrifter »

I'm using linux because I didn't want to pay for a windows operating system. But if you know where I can get one cheap, please tell me.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Afraid there is no such thing as a cheap legal copy of windows AFAIK windows starts around $100 give or take for a legal copy and pirating is not promoted here sorry. You may want to check sites like newegg or tigerdirect to check prices just off the top of my head.
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

If you have a video game console use that for netflix, its free.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Mindrifter wrote:I'm using linux because I didn't want to pay for a windows operating system. But if you know where I can get one cheap, please tell me.
Not my problem, you asked "Is there any way I can get around that" and I told you what works.
Mindrifter

Post by Mindrifter »

Alright, well thanks anyway.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

might be a long shot. So many people here ditching windows someone here may let you have their copy. Just a thought
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight for streaming. It won't work with Moonlight either. You have to have Silverlight. So the only thing I can think of is that you might possibly be able to install Internet Explorer under Wine, and then install the Silverlight plugin within Internet Explorer. I have never attempted this, so I have no idea if it would work or not.
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Lantesh wrote:Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight for streaming. It won't work with Moonlight either. You have to have Silverlight. So the only thing I can think of is that you might possibly be able to install Internet Explorer under Wine, and then install the Silverlight plugin within Internet Explorer. I have never attempted this, so I have no idea if it would work or not.

I have XP running in Virtualbox as a guest with Mint and Fedora hosts. If you do this you can run Internet Explorer together with Silverlight just fine and you can stream Netflix.

I was frustrated by this compromise in the beginning too but then in the end I have stopped streaming netflix instantly because there really aren't that many good movies on the instant list. Its better to just get them off Amazon or get the dvd mailed to you.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Mindrifter wrote:I'm using linux because I didn't want to pay for a windows operating system. But if you know where I can get one cheap, please tell me.

I got a copy of Windows XP home from ebay for a customer for 51 dollars off ebay :)
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

I have a bunch of XP keys that I got from the stickers of old and now retired machines. I have an OEM disk for XP. At the very worst the only thing I have ever had to do is call the Microsoft 800 number to activate over the phone. You can move a Windows Install 5 times before you have to call them on the phone.

So, if you have an old computer with one of those XP key stickers on it and an OEM XP disk, you can install XP in a Virtualbox.

That's how I did it anyway.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Dell OEM disk will work
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

The best solution, depending on your computer's power, is to install Windows XP in Virtualbox and watch Netflix through it. It works pretty well for me. You can even make a link in the menu to your XP installation, so that it will automatically open and your browser with Netflix will already be there(as long as you remember to suspend the session each time you quit).
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

For the price of a windows OEM dvd

Post by voss749 »

You can get yourself a roku box for your tv that works better and doesnt require space on your hard drive.

The top of the line one is $99

Return to “Sound”