Hulu Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brad0383

Hulu Desktop

Post by brad0383 »

I have been fighting with this for 2 days. I can watch Hulu desktop with no problems until I go to full screen mode, then it gets choppy. I believe this is an Adobe Flash problem. I have tried disabling hardware acceleration that has been suggested elsewhere. I am using Linux Mint 9 GNOME 64 bit. It is doing the same thing on my desktop as well as my laptop, both running the same Linux Mint 9 64 bit. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Hulu Desktop

Post by bobcollard »

Check in Synaptic Package Manager and see if 64 bit flash is installed. If it is, uninstal it and install the 32 bit flash. Some reason Hulu does not recognise 64 bit flash yet.
brad0383

Post by brad0383 »

I have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit. They do the same thing. It is a flash problem. My windows XP work machine does the same thing. Oh well, fix your software please Adobe!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

You can install 32 bit Flash in Mint 9 x64 to fix your Flash issues. This should work for you. Before starting go into Synaptic package manager and un-install whatever version of Flash you currently have.

1. Install the "mint-flashplugin-x64" package.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-flashplugin-x64
2. Now we are going to remove the actual Flash file itself.

sudo rm /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so
3. Next we are going to get the 32 bit version of Flash from Adobe's site. Go to this link:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

Pull the drop down list and select the "tar.gz for linux" file. Click the "agree and install now" button. A Nautilus dialog box will pop up, and you can save the "install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz" file. This will be the latest 32-bit Flash, currently 10.1.85.3 at the time I wrote this tutorial. Place it in the "Downloads" folder in your home directory. Open Nautilus. Go to your Downloads folder, and extract the tar.gz file right there in the Downloads folder. You will see the file "libflashplayer.so" now sitting in the Downloads folder.

4. Copy the extracted libflashplayer.so into the "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/" folder with the following command.

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libflashplayer.so /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/
5. Now we are going to install nspluginwrapper, a program that allows us to use 32 bit plugins on a 64 bit OS.

sudo apt-get install nspluginwrapper
6. Next we will configure nspluginwrapper to work with 32 bit Flash. Basically we are going to manually wrap the libflashplayer.so file with nspluginwrapper.

nspluginwrapper --install /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so
At this point we can relaunch Firefox, and Flash will now work, but there will be issues. We will now fix those resulting issues.

7. We need to edit the "/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer" file. The will fix the "left mouse click doesn't register" issue that we created with the install of 32 bit flash.

sudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
Change the following:

#!/bin/sh
TARGET_OS=linux
TARGET_ARCH=i386
. /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer.sh
To:

#!/bin/sh
TARGET_OS=linux
TARGET_ARCH=i386
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
Save the file.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Please note a requirement in Hulu Desktop: You should have 2Mbs Internet Connection. This may explain the flashing and choppiness if you have only 1Mbs.
brad0383

Post by brad0383 »

Now I get this warning:

Hulu requires Flash Player 10.0.32 or higher. Please download and install the latest version of Flash Player before continuing.

Thanks, but no go.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Lantesh wrote:You can install 32 bit Flash in Mint 9 x64 to fix your Flash issues. This should work for you. Before starting go into Synaptic package manager and un-install whatever version of Flash you currently have.

1. Install the "mint-flashplugin-x64" package.

sudo apt-get install mint-flashplugin-x64
2. Now we are going to remove the actual Flash file itself.

sudo rm /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so
3. Next we are going to get the 32 bit version of Flash from Adobe's site. Go to this link:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

Pull the drop down list and select the "tar.gz for linux" file. Click the "agree and install now" button. A Nautilus dialog box will pop up, and you can save the "install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz" file. This will be the latest 32-bit Flash, currently 10.1.85.3 at the time I wrote this tutorial. Place it in the "Downloads" folder in your home directory. Open Nautilus. Go to your Downloads folder, and extract the tar.gz file right there in the Downloads folder. You will see the file "libflashplayer.so" now sitting in the Downloads folder.

4. Copy the extracted libflashplayer.so into the "/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/" folder with the following command.

sudo cp ~/Downloads/libflashplayer.so /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/
5. Now we are going to install nspluginwrapper, a program that allows us to use 32 bit plugins on a 64 bit OS.

sudo apt-get install nspluginwrapper
6. Next we will configure nspluginwrapper to work with 32 bit Flash. Basically we are going to manually wrap the libflashplayer.so file with nspluginwrapper.

nspluginwrapper --install /opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so
At this point we can relaunch Firefox, and Flash will now work, but there will be issues. We will now fix those resulting issues.

7. We need to edit the "/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer" file. The will fix the "left mouse click doesn't register" issue that we created with the install of 32 bit flash.

sudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
Change the following:

#!/bin/sh
TARGET_OS=linux
TARGET_ARCH=i386
To:

#!/bin/sh
TARGET_OS=linux
TARGET_ARCH=i386
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
Save the file.
You can use this one-liner to accomplish steps 1- 6.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove mint-flashplugin-x64 && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Return to “Sound”