[SOLVED] Remotely manage music server?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zoe washburne

[SOLVED] Remotely manage music server?

Post by zoe washburne »

Hi All,
Have an old laptop (T41) with speakers plugged it and a folder full of MP3s. Looking for a way to play, pause, add, remove songs to the playlist from my other laptop (Atom). Have tried mpd, but feel like it wants to stream music from T41 to Atom, rather than control the mpd running on T41. Ideally would like to use Atoms' Nautilus to drag and drop to a totem window on T41, but short of VNC (seems like overkill) I can not see a way to do it. Second choice would be a library-managed type deal-y like Rhythmbox but obviously with this network linked control...

Any ideas GREATLY appreciated guys
Zoe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Remotely manage music server?

Post by JasonLG »

zoe washburne wrote:Hi All,
Have an old laptop (T41) with speakers plugged it and a folder full of MP3s. Looking for a way to play, pause, add, remove songs to the playlist from my other laptop (Atom). Have tried mpd, but feel like it wants to stream music from T41 to Atom, rather than control the mpd running on T41. Ideally would like to use Atoms' Nautilus to drag and drop to a totem window on T41, but short of VNC (seems like overkill) I can not see a way to do it. Second choice would be a library-managed type deal-y like Rhythmbox but obviously with this network linked control...

Any ideas GREATLY appreciated guys
Zoe
What I've done is to mount a samba share from my NAS on my Cr-48(running Mint 10) to have the music accessible as if it was a native part of the file system then shared the soundcard with pulseaudio. The end result is that Music located on my NAS is played on my Cr-48 but and heard on my laptop which is connected to a nice set of speakers. I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind but it does have it's advantages as compared to simply remotely controlling mpd.
zoe washburne

Re: [SOLVED] Remotely manage music server?

Post by zoe washburne »

Finally figured out mocp + byobu + ssh. Not quite the GUI, drag and drop solution I was looking for, but it will certainly do!

Return to “Sound”