Handbrake and m4v files solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Handbrake and m4v files solved

Post by daddyo »

I used Handbrake to backup a dvd and it created an m4v file. If I wanted to burn the m4v to another disc, can anyone help me out with the correct steps? I have limited experience with command based tools and will probably need to stick with gui based programs to accomplish this. If anyone can give suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hemimaniac

Re: Handbrake and m4v files

Post by hemimaniac »

uhmm, why?

sudo apt-get install devede

3-5 clicks and its all over and done
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by daddyo »

I am at work right now and not at my home computer. I used devede to create an iso from the m4v and all I got was 37 seconds of video that said Chapter 1. When I first opened devede, I chose the first of the 5 options which was to create a dvd suitable for home dvd players. Was I supposed to choose something else? After getting into the program, I did not mess with the titles on the left side but went to the right side and found the m4v file that I wanted to convert to the iso. The only thing that I can think of is that I am choosing the wrong option initially and/or not choosing the correct options when I get into devede.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

unless you are adding more then one video to a dvd the menu and chapter options pretty usless. i would just drag the video you want converted to disc to the right pane, go thru the options in the drop down and let it go, on another note for simply backing up a dvd there is k9copy, open the k9 wizard and it walks thry kinda like shrink
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by daddyo »

hemimaniac, I tried your suggestion about dragging and dropping - I hit the forward button and it brought up a box to create a folder to save the iso. It only took about 49 seconds to create the iso. I am new to this but I am assuming that my computer should be able to play the iso before I burn it to a disc. However, every time I try to play the iso, it says Chapter 1 and it lasts about 37 seconds. In the advanced drop down menu, create an ISO is clicked and not the mpeg option. Is there a possibility that I messed something up when I originally ripped the disc with Handbrake? I am missing something obvious here and I do not know what it is. GRRR.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

what size is the original mpx file, if not in excess of 1GB something went majorly wrong with the original rip
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by daddyo »

I have only ripped 2 movies with Handbrake and one of them I ripped twice and got 2 different sized m4v files. The m4v for movie #1 is 774.3 mb - the 2 m4v files for movie #2 are 690.8 mb and 1.3 gb. These must be a setting in Handbrake that I am not doing correctly when I am ripping. I just opened up Handbrake and it only gives me 2 different options for ripping - mp4 and mkv. I have not idea what mkv is but there is probably something else that I am missing. I appreciate your help.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

In handbrake one needs to choose the main chapter (usually 4000mb +) for ease of use i highly suggest k9copy, with this you can back up the whole dvd and not just a chapter also you need to make sure you have libdvdcss and libdvdread installed for any ripping application to work properly. also m4v is an apple based container and not as native to linux as an avi or mpeg would be, as you are wanting to rip it to your computer i would still suggest k9copy as it has this ability as well. as for ripping to an avi i would suggest acidrip, k3b winff etc etc. or use handbrake to rip it to mkv tho imo that is a more difficult route to go as mkv is a very powerful container that some conversions will struggle/or fail completely.
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Handbrake and m4v files solved

Post by daddyo »

Thank you again for your help, hemimaniac. The next time I need to rip a dvd I will give k9copy a shot. I find it interesting that I installed handbrake from the package manager in mint 9 and it will not give me the option to rip a dvd to an avi or mpeg but only an m4v file. Thanks again.
hemimaniac

Re: Handbrake and m4v files solved

Post by hemimaniac »

mkv (matroska video) is a very powerful container, tho handbrake quit supporting avi 3-4 versions ago, i suggest avidemux, k9copy, k3b, acidrip or dvdrip, all fairly simple to use and for the most part you get your choice of containers

Return to “Sound”