No audio on laptop speaker

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ke7omc

No audio on laptop speaker

Post by ke7omc »

I just downloaded Linux Mint 11 and I am dual booting it with with windows xp. I downloaded the cd version installed it and then I upgraded to the dvd version and installed the rest of the codecs. My problem now is that I get audio through the headphones, but not the speaker built inside of the laptop. I have a Panasonic Toghbook CF-W8.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beardedragon

Re: No audio on laptop speaker

Post by Beardedragon »

ke7omc wrote:I just downloaded Linux Mint 11 and I am dual booting it with with windows xp. I downloaded the cd version installed it and then I upgraded to the dvd version and installed the rest of the codecs. My problem now is that I get audio through the headphones, but not the speaker built inside of the laptop. I have a Panasonic Toghbook CF-W8.
Click on the speaker icon (Mixer) in your Panel and choose "Select Controls" Check Front, Headphones and anything else appropriate then "Close" This will bring the selections to the menu and you can set volume according to your tastes.
johnrey

Post by johnrey »

hey, have solved this problem? I've met the same thing. and the speaker won't work under xp now!!
johnny87au

Post by johnny87au »

have you tryed upgrading kernel? Try this, this should work as i had no sound for a week then i figured it out..

There is a general solution for sound and ICH8
Edit
This should work for ICH7 to at least ICH10
Edit the "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" file
Note before Gloria the file is /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base without a conf

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 

add at the very end

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto

Replace auto with the brand of your computer - acer, asus, dell, toshiba and others. Macbook pro has mbpx where x is the "generation" of Macbook Pro
Use minor letters. Lots of brands can be used, but if you have an unusual brand you may have to stay with auto
If you have another sound card and don't want the IHC sound to be the default set index=-2

In case of slightly distorted, weird, crackled sound on Apple Macs and perhaps other computers too try this

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local

Add two following lines to the end of file before "exit 0":

rmmod snd_hda_intel
    modprobe snd_hda_intel

This unloads and reloads the Intel sound module

NOTE: For all solutions here to work you must reboot.

This does not work for Elyssa and later, but helps in Daryna and earlier
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic

And there's the Ubuntu Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
Note that it starts in 2006 so the first solutions are outdated

Return to “Sound”