web videos freezing..

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
techfighterminal

web videos freezing..

Post by techfighterminal »

hey guys first post in the mint forums. anyhow I just switched to linux mint, since ubuntu didn't want to install this time around.. and i got to say I like it. but i have one problem.

this has happened to me with ubuntu as well, but only when running torrents. Mint however seems to do this regardless. online videos such as youtube play the videos fine.. except sometimes about halfway through they will freeze up like there buffering, and i have to refresh the page... this is a nuisance with longer videos..

is there anything i can do for optimization, or to fix this? any help would be appreciated.. thanx in advanced..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: web videos freezing..

Post by xenopeek »

Does the problem happen always for a specific video, or only sometimes? If it happens always, please share a youtube link to that video.

This may be related to race condition on memory. How much memory and swap do you have in your machine? Run the following from Terminal (find it in menu) and post output here:

Code: Select all

free
techfighterminal

Re: web videos freezing..

Post by techfighterminal »

no it happens on all videos about half way through... worse for long videos..

Code: Select all

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        896060     516064     379996          0      23432     254812
-/+ buffers/cache:     237820     658240
Swap:      2626588      68656    2557932
ive only noticed this with ubuntu based distros, but not with lucid puppy.

and just for extra reference I'm using Linux mint 8 XFCE
Last edited by techfighterminal on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: code boxes make things easier to read sometimes

Return to “Sound”