mp3 not working in daryna

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

mp3 not working in daryna

Postby stowupland on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:49 pm

I have just changed from mepis 6.5 to mint darnya and now mp3 support appears to not work in audacity and sound juicer. I can import existing mp3 files into audacity but not export them. I can see the mp3 option in audacity and sound juicer but they are not selectable. The lame files also appears to have been installed by default albeit it is not shown highlighted in the package manager. Am I going mad or is it time to go backwards to Mepis 6.5? Also I think somebody else posted with a similar question but it failed to solve my problem?
stowupland

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mp3 not working in daryna

Postby foggytown on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm

The first thing I would do is be sure that "gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly" is installed. If it is already installed I would uninstall and reinstall to see if that solves the problem.

Hope that helps, if not post back here.
--john
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stowupland on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Have reinstalled gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly as you suggested and nothing has changed. In sound juicer mp3 is listed as a profile option but not selectable as an output option. I can import an mp3 into audacity but not export as an mp3. I am lucky that I can get around the problem by dual booting into either into XP Windoz or using a bootable CD version of Puppy Linux where mp3 files are not a problem.

I like the look of daryna and it feels more polished than Mepis and it is obviously a better long term desktop option than Puppy.

The weird thing is that I also use Audacity in in XP windoz with no problem but want to ditch the Windoz and use free software.
stowupland

Postby nick on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi

When you export mp3 file from audacity on my box for the first time Audacity asks you to locate libmp3lame.so, and then you
point to it.
To locate libmp3lame.so type,
Code: Select all
 locate libmp3lame.so

In my case /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0 and then you can export it,
try reinstalling lame

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby stowupland on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 am

Tried all the logical options and still not working as designed with mp3 - ARGHHH!!!! Have now given up and installed Kaudiocreator for ripping mp3 files and ReZound to edit and save to hd. Shame that Sound Juicer and Audacity will not work as designed as it was a more polished solution to the mp3 editing lark. It has however made me think about switching to Puppy 2.15CE as it works nearly as well as daryna. Any ideas on how to force both audacity and sound juicer to work with mp3 files would be useful.
stowupland

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:37 am

Removed audacity and reinstalled an earlier version and now the mp3 export option works? Still need a better option than Kaudiocreator to get the mp3 cd ripping to hd. Also has anybody any idea about how to get Amarok to see a 2nd CD drive? Is there a plugin for amarok to rip mp3 files?

Postby proxima_centauri on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:15 pm

I think I had the same problem with soundjuicer.
I think I installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse and liblame0 in addition to gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. That made it work for me.
Cheers.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby newW2 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 am

Did you try this solution? I think I saw mention that somebody still could select mp3 in Sound Jucier.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2544&p=53419&hilit=mp3#p53419
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby guggle on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 am

the solution posted by proxima-centuri worked for me...
guggle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs