Embedded MP3's

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Embedded MP3's

Postby Sam I Am on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 am

Hi all,

I'm testing mint xfce ce at beta08 at the moment and have run into an online media problem that is not just concerned with this live cd. The problem is this: embedded audio is being cut off at various degrees. to see what I mean go here: http://www.german-grammar.de/grammar/ch ... d_same.htm
and play the "German spoken by kids" audio. I get just after half way before it's cut off. I also know that if this happens with this audio, further into the course, the single word audio is not played at all.

I've had varying degrees of success with different plugins and different distros; totem seems best (vlc, didn't work at all on ubuntu with this audio. Mplayer and Xine both had problems too). Sabayon 3.4f and Dreamlinux 2.2 MMGL both play all the audio (although Dream Linux is on a PII 350 machine 'coz it won't load from a Jmicron controller). Is this a known technical issue that can be easily solved?

To all those who might want to say "just download the file." I say, if your trying to learn a language, it's better to just click the word/phrase as you go. Anyway I thought since this is a beta version some thought might go into why this happens and hopefully address it so mint xfce can be a truly top notch distro. I'm also interested if the other DE versions of mint have this problem too since I haven't tested Gnome, KDE etc. so feel free to test your distro with this site.

Cheers
Sam I Am
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Embedded MP3's

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 am

Well the text is very intellectually challenging :lol:
kid says in ...
German: ene dene dippe dene dippe dene dalia ebbe bebe bembio bio bio puff

I played that one and the other examples on that page without any strange side effects other than that "bio puff" was cut off....
Think this is with the site
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Embedded MP3's

Postby Sam I Am on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:04 am

Well, I seem to have found a solution (at least on my system anyway). Totem mozilla plugin with gstreamer engine. The pluging installs with totem-xine as default, but it didn't work (for me) so I installed totem-gstreamer; which removes the xine engine; and all is working nicely. I'll do some more testing, let others try it for themselves before I mark it solved, by so far so good.

Oh and thanks for the time to try this out and send a reply Husse :)

Cheers
Sam I Am
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs