SOLVED: Exaile Collection Problems

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

SOLVED: Exaile Collection Problems

Postby Brett on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi all,

I have my desktop running daryna, and a home server running xubuntu i believe. Before I switched my desktop to linux, I had my desktop running vista and media player's library would connect and scan the server's music folder in order to play my music. I think my server is using samba file sharing services. Now when I try to add that folder to my exaile collection, it scans the folder, finds all 5 thousand some songs (i see the number in the bottom right, but it says 0 showing), then only shows about 24 of them when I do the smart playlist "entire library", and when I click "collection" on the left side, nothing appears at all. I've tried this multiple times, i've tried deleting the .exaile preference folder in my Home directory.. and I just can't get it to work. Is this a common problem that my searches have failed to find? Also I was thinking that maybe I should be using NFS instead of samba? Not really sure the differences, but just a thought.

Thanks in advance,
Brett
Last edited by Brett on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Exaile Collection Problems

Postby Husse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:52 pm

First off - when you ask for help please don't write things like "running xubuntu i believe"
Find the facts - how do you expect us to help you if we don't know what we are dealing with?
And yes NFS is better that samba if it's Linux only as NFS is Linux and samba is Linux + Windows
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Brett on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Husse wrote:First off - when you ask for help please don't write things like "running xubuntu i believe"
Find the facts - how do you expect us to help you if we don't know what we are dealing with?
And yes NFS is better that samba if it's Linux only as NFS is Linux and samba is Linux + Windows

Alright.. how about we disregard the "i believe"

How will that change your response?
Brett
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 am

It will not change it as I answered from your believes :)
I have no experience with exaile - I'm not a "music man" but go for nfs instead of samba if you don't have windows. Samba is also more difficult to configure
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Brett on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Husse wrote:It will not change it as I answered from your believes :)
I have no experience with exaile - I'm not a "music man" but go for nfs instead of samba if you don't have windows. Samba is also more difficult to configure

Thanks
Brett
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brett on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:17 pm

----SOLVED-----

To solve this problem, use fusesmb to mount the samba network share in your Home Folder. Ensure there are correct permissions set to access the share.

For more info about fusesmb: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb

Brett
Brett
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs