[SOVLED] Plays some DVDs, Won't Play others.

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOVLED] Plays some DVDs, Won't Play others.

Postby muskratmx on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm

I have a strange problem. But it's not confined to LinuxMint, or VectorLinux.

My Laptop triple boots into WinXP, LinuxMint, and VectorLinux. When I play DVDs most will play no problem, but there are a few that won't play. Those that won't play won't even mount I get an error no media found. This is uniform accross the board with all three installs. None of them will see the disk in the drive.

Not even winxp, the drive just appears empty.

When these same disks are placed in a DVD player they work.

I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas?
Last edited by muskratmx on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Plays some DVDs, Won't Play others.

Postby Fred on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 pm

muskratmx,

Greetings sir,

My first guess would be an unsupported disk type. My second guess would be some kind of DRM problem.

Not much help I know but the best I could do on short notice. :-)

Enjoy,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 am

By unsupported disk type, what would that mean? For example I have two disk, both made by the same studio company both zone 1, yet one plays in all three distros XP, Mint, and Vector. The other won't even get recognised, all three say no media found. Yet they both play in a TV DVD player.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:56 am

I am not sure exactly what I mean. I remember a year or two ago my daughter had some few dvds that she couldn't get to work on the computer. but worked fine on her dvd player hooked to the tv. Looking at them close, they were just slightly thicker than the others and had a more rounded edge. I don't know what that means. Out of tolerance, more layers, strange format that the computer didn't support? I really couldn't tell you. I never did go to the trouble to get to the bottom of the problem.

Sorry, that's as much as I know.

Good luck, :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOVLED] Plays some DVDs, Won't Play others.

Postby muskratmx on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:40 pm

I discovered it's the optical drive is failing, the other day I played a two movie disk, playing the first movie, then removed the disk and later replaced the disk to play the second movie, no such luck, it wouldn't play in LinuxMint, WinXP, or VectorLinux.

I knew the disk was compatible, because it played movie one fine. So I pulled the big No No. Using my finger I wiggled the optical head and presto, it played the second movie.

So I guess the lesson here is don't always blame software, hardware can act just as funky.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOVLED] Plays some DVDs, Won't Play others.

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:07 pm

muskratmx,

Point taken my friend. Thanks :-)

Now that you mention it, I do remember replacing that cd drive some few months after that incident. I just didn't associate the two.

We live and learn. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs