Usb3 card support

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Usb3 card support

Postby Roger Moore on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi guys

I have built a Mint machine running the latest LTS Qiana build. I have managed to get Samba working fine throughout my network.

However, my pc has run out of usable bays and I would like to add on drives via a pci express usb 3 add-on card and utilise it's full speed.

Which chips are currently supported e.g. Renesas/NEC and what derivative?
Roger Moore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Usb3 card support

Postby PatH57 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:45 am

Hi,

this is the one I use on Mint 13 (kernel 3.2)
Code: Select all
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=silverstone_ec03&num=2

under Mint 17 xhcd_hcd driver is loaded automatically so most cards should be detected, the big question is how good the chipset will work with the external usb 3 unit. I had some drives really working fine but some others being just as slow as with usb2, could be due to some cards not having enough juice to run them correctly or my PSU getting to his limits. (WD passport are great under windows but way less under linux)
You will have to try I'm afraid or wait for some more feedback.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Usb3 card support

Postby Mark Phelps on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 pm

I know the cards using the Renesas/NEC chips work because I have one in my PC -- however, I had to flash the firmware from the NEC site in order to get stable USB 3.0 speeds, and I had to do that from Windows. If you get a new card, it may already have the firmware updated and not be a problem.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Re: Usb3 card support

Postby Roger Moore on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Mark Phelps wrote:I know the cards using the Renesas/NEC chips work because I have one in my PC -- however, I had to flash the firmware from the NEC site in order to get stable USB 3.0 speeds, and I had to do that from Windows. If you get a new card, it may already have the firmware updated and not be a problem.

I can get a friend to flash new firmware for me thanks. Seems I should go ahead and take a chance.
Roger Moore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support